My worst fears confirmed, the dreaded Bumble Foot.

• 14 Replies

NormandyMary

My worst fears confirmed, the dreaded Bumble Foot.
« on: October 02, 2011, 15:14 »
Following on from my thread yesterday about my new LS hen, I had another look at her foot today, and what I thought yesterday to be a bit of pooh is infact a scab! I brought her in and bathed it to make the scab soft and managed to pull most of it off. I couldnt however squeeze any nasty stuff out, maybe it was too solid, I just dont know. I put on some antibiotic spray and took her home.
Being that we only bought the chooks last Monday, is it likely that she had the infection before she left the breeders? Reason I say this is that the new hens have a brand spanking new house, on a brand new bit of land, with all new straw and feeders. She was one of the hens that preferred to stay inside the house most of last week, so it was difficult to tell that she had this problem. It is my intention to return her to the breeder tomorrow. I know this is harsh but after all the problems we had with Monty, I just dont think that I can cope with another case quite so soon with a hen we havent got too attached to yet.
Any thoughts very welcome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 18:20 by Aunt Sally »

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: My worst fears confirmed, the dreaded BF.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 15:17 »
Really sorry to hear that Mary - you've had enough bad luck with BF.  I can't blame you for wanting to see if the supplier will take her back.

One thing I have noticed with BF is that the infected stuff in a hen's foot is solid - not at all runny - and generally needs to be cut / tweezered out when you remove the scab.

Good luck and I'm sorry I can't offer much help, I just hope you have a happier outcome this time.

"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 15:35 »
Really sorry to hear that Mary - you've had enough bad luck with BF.  I can't blame you for wanting to see if the supplier will take her back.

One thing I have noticed with BF is that the infected stuff in a hen's foot is solid - not at all runny - and generally needs to be cut / tweezered out when you remove the scab.

Good luck and I'm sorry I can't offer much help, I just hope you have a happier outcome this time.

You're right FL, but I thought should I start digging around if I was going to take her back anyway. If I KNEW that I could cure it completely, I'd have a go, but Im sure she must have had it before I got her.Ooh I just dont know WHAT to do now! If I do manage to get the stuff out, is it best to cover the foot or leave it bare? Our vet over here said dont cover it, but with Monty he was in the house, not with the others.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 15:55 »
I know most people say to leave the wound open but I would suggest if you do that you may want to bathe it most days to keep it clean.  I guess it would also mean isolating her so she can be kept on clean bedding.

Perhaps speak with her supplier first and then if they won't take her back, then do the advanced surgery. 

If you can get some antibiotics from your vet you will find it helps massively with clearing up the infection - just make sure it's for a long enough duration, I found 7 days was not quite long enough.

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 17:44 »
What I need to know is though, would she have had the bumblefoot before I got her. Does it go from nothing to a pus filled scabby foot in 5 days?

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: My worst fears confirmed, the dreaded Bumble Foot.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 18:47 »
I would think for her foot to have swollen to that degree she had it before you got her, however, I am not a vet and this is just my opinion.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:54 »
so sorry you're having problems mary but i would agree with foghorn-leghorn.

it would take time for the infection to solidify and most likely more than 5 days. you have the right idea though - call the breeder and see what they say.

best of luck :)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 15:56 »
Took Miss Light Sussex back to the breeders this afternoon. No problems at all, he gave me another one, and I bought another as I didnt want to introduce just one hen to the others in case she was picked on. The bloke also thought I was going to be taking the poorly chook home with me, I thought about it but (I know this sounds awful) with family coming tomorrow to the end of the week, I wouldnt have the time to tend to it twice a day. I wouldnt be able to have her anywhere near the house either as my daughter who is visiting is afraid of chooks!!!!!
Both hens have actually settled in extremely well, they've introduced themselves and as I left them, they were just sussing out the accomodation, food, drink etc.

Had 3 lovely eggs today, one was almost medium sized, they've all got lovely hard shells. we had 4 yesterday, one was a first egg, so Im hopefull that by next week we could be up to half a dozen.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 16:01 »
they sound like really good people to buy hens off, glad they swapped her for you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 16:28 »
did the breeder say what would happen to the poorly one?

congrats on the eggs...i'm feeling envious.....of 18 chooks, i'm getting 3 eggs on a good day!

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 17:11 »
I'm really glad the breeder/supplier was good to deal with and your new additions are settling in well.   :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 18:11 »
did the breeder say what would happen to the poorly one?

congrats on the eggs...i'm feeling envious.....of 18 chooks, i'm getting 3 eggs on a good day!

Im trying NOT to think about what happened to the poorly chook, Im sure that there was only one possible outcome. I dont think it will be going to bed tonight put it that way. I HAD to do it this way, I am trying not to get too attached to the chooks this time, and the fact that they will always be in their run, so cant pop up to the back door etc will make it easier. I had to be realistic, not one of my better traits I can tell you.
They ARE good breeders, Ive always had very healthy chooks from them and would recommend anyone to go to them. Their set up is so clean, not a whiff of chook pooh and they have 4 people working there that I have seen, there could be more. The French are very fussy regarding their poultry, so they cant afford to blacken their name.
Actually, we bought some chooks from their lorry at a local market years ago, when we unpacked the chooks, we found a watch which we believed belonged to the woman selling the chooks. My OH went back a week later to return the watch and to buy a cockerel, she GAVE him the cockerel as a "thankyou" for returning the watch. That cockerel was Monty!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 22:38 »
NormandyMary I think you did exactly the right thing by returning the sick chicken.  Good on you for being strong and sensible. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:34 »
You seem to have a good relationship with this breeder which is a good thing to cultivate.

It's hard sometimes but ultimately you have to do the sensible thing.

HF
Truth through science.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19 »
i agree.

a breeder's reputation is everything.

when some birds i had, a few years back, came down with the sniffles around 8 days after i got them, the breeder refused to have them back or even listen! i eventually had to cull all my flock.

she's actually gone out of business now - other people learned from their experiences and passed it on.

looks like you've found a great breeder.

xx
could it be bumble foot

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 07:04
by joyfull
xx
bumble foot

Started by dennis on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 08:52
by dennis
xx
Bumble Foot ???

Started by pammie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:17
by pammie
xx
Bumble Foot - Lost the link

Started by afewgoodchickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 19:39
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 40 queries.