Advice on buying second hand polytunnel

• 8 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Advice on buying second hand polytunnel
« on: April 21, 2013, 20:27 »
We had been planning on buying a new polytunnel, but our neighbor knows someone who is selling one. It's 90 x 24 feet, and he is asking £1900 for it. All we know is that it will need new polythene and he estimates it should cost 500-600 to re-cover. So we go to have a look at it, and make sure it's in good condition, but what should we be looking for, and what questions should we ask?

It sounds like we will get help and advice putting it up as part of the deal, so as far as I can tell it sounds like a good deal.

neal

Re: Advice on buying second hand polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 21:00 »
Try First Tunnels they do a new one for £2124. One that size would just about cover my plot.
I had problems with the council getting a 14x30 up.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 21:53 »
Yeah, we've been looking at First Tunnels, but with all the addons (anchoring, vents, etc), First Tunnels is looking more expensive, and we'd have to pay for installation on top of that I think?

Our neighbor also has a contact in the council planning dept. which they asked, and the polytunnel should be fine for domestic use.

J-J

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 22:11 »
Make sure you check how it's fixed into the ground, as you'll need the ground tubes that go with it. If the ground tubes are concreted into the ground then you'll need new ones in order to rebuild it. If it's on anchor plates then these will need digging up to re-use them.

You'll also need to replace the anti hot spot tape to get a better life out of the cover and if it has timber base rails you may decide to replace the timber, again to get the best life out of your cover.

Hope this helps.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 22:38 »
Thanks for the tips J-J.

After having pondered it for a while and measuring out the plot that it would go on, the other half and I are going to buy new. Whilst a 90 footer would be nice, it would mean having to squeeze it in close to a shed, so we decided to go with a 78 x 24 foot poly. A little bit smaller, but it should still give plenty of room for us.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 23:25 »
I was going to say that if you need new polythene, then £1900 sounds a bit steep.  I suppose I was lucky.  We only paid £60 for ours which was a 30 x 21, and we kept the old polythene, which they reckon you shouldn't do and it's done us okay for nearly 7 years now.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:44 »
It sounds like you got a bargain Annie. After pricing up a new tunnel from First Tunnels, with all the trimmings (thermal anti-fog cover, twin support brace kit, aluminum base rail kit, and sliding doors each end for ventilation), a 78 x 24 tunnel comes to just over £2800.

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 18:02 »
Well you will certainly need a lot of veg to make that money back and for it to become profitable  :ohmy:
I had a job persuading the wife we could do with a greenhouse a 6 x 4 one  :lol:
Carlisle

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 19:38 »
Well for us it isn't necessarily just about breaking even or turning a profit, although we will certainly try and make it as productive as possible!

xx
Worth buying a cheap 2nd hand greenhouse or polytunnel??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 22:24
by muntjac
question
2nd Hand Greenhouse Buying Advice

Started by Daamoot on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:24
by JayG
xx
advice on buying a polytunnel

Started by sreidy82 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 18:39
by richie
xx
Buying new polytunnel advice please

Started by Erfurt on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 13:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.