Cheap polytunnel greenhouse worth the money?

• 11 Replies

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
Cheap polytunnel greenhouse worth the money?
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:01 »
As the title says, are they worth the money? I've seen one on amazon, 2x2x3 meters for £39.99 plus postage. I had assumed they would be out of my reach for price range but this is just about affordable for me just now. How robust are they once errected? Is it likely to just blow away? I'm thinking wendyhouse scenario, lol?! Just wanting to know if I'd be wasting my money by getting it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006CE4CPC/ref=aw_d_iv_outdoors/277-1099281-3754213?is=l   
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cheap polytunnel greenhouse worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36 »
I notice you have also started a thread about your inherited greenhouse - I hope the responses haven't put you off renovating it and that the polytunnel would be in addition to, rather than instead of, your greenhouse.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything like that unless I had an unusually well sheltered spot to put it - there are many different threads in the forum on the subject of cheap greenhouses/polytunnels; here is a very recent one:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101154.msg1125722#msg1125722
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04 »
Yes it would be in addition to :)
The greenhouse is at my home which will be great for starting off seeds etc but stuff will need transporting backwards and forwards. I will be keeping my sweet potatoes in it if I manage to get some shoots. The polytunnel i was thinking would be good for on site stuff and growing things (like sweet pots I guess) that need a warmer start and keeping frost free. My dad is trying to talk me out of it in favour of poly cloches! ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:05 by ThatsNice »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16 »
I have to come straight to the point and say that it wouldn't last 2 minutes on our site in a moderate breeze.

One chap on our site made a magnificent construction out of 3" x 3" timber, only for it to be upended in a stongish wind.

You'd have a lot of extra work on to make sure that it was anchored and guyed well. Even that would not stop the frame bending.

Sorry to be blunt.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46 »
Blunt is fine and answers my thoughts of would I be wasting my time. Yes would seem to be the answer, lol!  :closedeyes:

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 13:38 »
I have a similar tunnel in my garden (semi sheltered but i do live less than a mile from the coast) and, as DD has said, I had to strengthen the frame and secure it and I even put a sideways opening door in

It has lasted me 2 seasons but is now on its last legs, the squares in the poly have been forced out by wind/rain and the hinge i put on the door has weaked sufficiently so that it now opens in AND out!

Might do ok in a sheltered back garden but if you are on an exposed site won't last long

Here are some pics ........

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 13:48 »
I am soo glad that you ended up with a self watering tunnel, the same as mine. (not glad that the poly's are next to useless, IYKWIM  :blush:)
I was beginning to think it was just me, as no-one else has complained of the same thing!

I suppose mine gave me 2 years to save up for a greenhouse  ::)

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26 »
Yep I too have a holey tunnel  :( 

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27 »
Looks like going to the cheap half price grow houses from greenfingers in November was the right idea - if they last a year or perhaps 2 then I will feel that I've had my moneys worth.

I've found a local double glazing company that has an enormous skip / container for disposing of the windows they remove. - I already have three double glazed opening vents from it and intend to visit on a regular basis and harvest as many windows and doors as possible to build a bespoke greenhouse after I use the 3 I have for cold frames 

Edited - Thanks DD not sure what happened there 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:48 by cadalot »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:38 »
cadalot - you may want to proof read what you've just posted!

grinling

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 22:44 »
For the holey poytunnel get some polytunnel sheeting (i got mine from local garden centre) and use it to replastic it. Put extra bolts to keep door in place. That green stuff only lasts a few seasons.

crh75

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 14:40 »
If you had one of these, best place for it would be your greenhouse over winter!

xx
Worth buying a cheap 2nd hand greenhouse or polytunnel??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 22:24
by muntjac
xx
Fence Sprayers - worth their money?

Started by samjess on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 11:31
by Junie
xx
Cheap cover for a polytunnel

Started by animal mad on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2012, 15:55
by mumofstig
xx
Mini Greenhouse. Worth it or not?

Started by yummy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 22:04
by yummy

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.