WILD PLUM WINE

• 21 Replies

mike1987

• Experienced Member
Re: WILD PLUM WINE
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 17:45 »
leave it where it is for a week or 2 it may decide that its stalled and wants to restart if in 2 weeks it has started to clear then move it to a cool place to settle for a month or sodifferent people have differnt views on camden tabs i wait untill racking off the first lot of sediment and put a crushed camden tab into the vessel im racking into before i start 

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 22:22 »
hi

a few days later and it's still just sat there, it's a lovely colour but no bubbling whatsoever :( but ... I've just been in there and stir something else that I have fermention in a bucket and it suddenly dawned on that I had fermented the plums in the same bucket but for some reason had made the lid air tight  ::) could this be the reason? would this have killed the yeast?

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 23:01 »
All I did was dissolve 2lb of sugar in 6 pints of boiling water, cut up the plums discarding the stones, put the plums in the water too with a teaspoon of cream of tartar to act as the tartaric acid my recipe called for, when it had cooled to lukewarm, in added a teaspoon of yeast and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient.  Oh and I mashed the plums up a bit with my potato masher too!

Stirred it all up and am now waiting for 4-5 days for the yeast to start before seiving into my demijohn.

I'm afraid I do my own thing quite a lot, I don't rigidly follow recipes, after all, it's only me has to drink the stuff!   :lol: :lol:

I've now got a gallon of carrot on the bubble, 2 gallons of blackcurrant and apple, 1 gallon of apple juice and a gallon of orange juice!!  That'll do me for Christmas!!!

You're obviously a thirsty lady Anne so what about boxing day ;)

HF
Truth through science.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 07:38 »
hi

a few days later and it's still just sat there, it's a lovely colour but no bubbling whatsoever :( but ... I've just been in there and stir something else that I have fermention in a bucket and it suddenly dawned on that I had fermented the plums in the same bucket but for some reason had made the lid air tight  ::) could this be the reason? would this have killed the yeast?

not too sure i wouldnt think so the co2 would of pushed the lid off have you got a demijohn to rack it into? if so i would do this  youve said that it was quite dry to taste so i would assume that it has fermented out

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 16:05 »
Thank you for being so patient Mike :) I've put it into a nice clean demi-john, so I guess I will just sit back and see what occurs.

x

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 16:08 »
im not that paitent lol most of my homebrew gets drank well before the year or 2 i would like it to mature lol

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15 »
Plum Wine
 4lb Plums
1.5kg sugar
1 tsp citric acid
1 tsp pectolase
Yeast  nutrient
Red wine yeast
wine Tannin, 1tsp or as directed on packet
These fruits don't have much  flavour  but  don't boil or soak them too long or they can release too much pectin and the wine will be cloudy. Pour 2 pints boiling water over the fruit and leave overnight. Next day add 4 pints cold water, and everything else.
Leave 24 hours and strain off. Do not squeeze too much!
Pour into a demijohn   add another 1/2 teaspoon of pectolase
Leave until it stops frothing (about 2 days) and fill up with cold water to the shoulder of the demi john.
Ferment out as normal, when it stops fermenting (bubbles stop) siphon off into a clean demi-john  and add a campden tablet and a potassium sorbate tablet.
Leave about a month if it doesn't clear, add finings and another campden.

Mind didn’t clear as much as I like so I siphoned it into a bucket, added finings and bentonite, after 4 days it was like a ultra clear deep rosé after  returning it to a demi john for another couple of weeks  I then bottled it (5 bottles and a half 70cl bottles) 
In total it took three months from getting the plums to having a drinkable wine.
I got this recipe from the internet, (it said add grape concentrate but I didn’t.) 
So far I’ve only had positive results, the wine itself tastes like a strong port, and it’s almost like liquor in look, not at all thin and watery. Quite sweet without tasting like a desert wine.   
small scale gardener, large scale eater

xx
Raspberry wine from wild yeast.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 15:05
by compostqueen
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Wild Plums

Started by tiptopchickendon on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2009, 11:51
by floydion
xx
Wild Cherries...

Started by HelenK on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 11:53
by HelenK

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 38 queries.