Cold Frame

• 8 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Cold Frame
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:31 »
I have just constructed a cold frame but I don’t know what to stand it on (soil or paving slabs). Can anyone please recommend? 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Cold Frame
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37 »
Depends how you are going to use it.  Are you going to plant straight into the ground, in which case put it on soil, but if its wood, make sure its got plenty of preservative on the bottom to help keep rot away.

If you are going to plant in pots and put the pots in the coldframe, then slabs.  I've got mine on weed suppressant which has gravel on top.  Helps drainage and helps stop weeds coming up.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43 »
hi mine is sitting on edges of slabs with weed  matting with gravel on to as i dont plant into ground and helps with drainage . mine gets used alot one of best things you could have ,
keep allotments alive grow your own

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:44 »
Hi Grannie. I’m new to this allotment lark and I really would like to sow straight into the ground but do I need to consider crop rotation when the plants are so young? I will obviously be moving them to the allotment when they are fully established.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:58 »
I'm not sure about that one.  If you are going to transplant the plants from the coldframe to the allotment, surely it would be easier if they were in trays or small pots or modules?

I've never actually known anyone who grows straight into the ground in a frame.  They are usually used for hardening off plants rather than sowing, especially early in the season when its cold.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:34 »
I’m with you now. I’ve never seen a cold frame being used before. I think I will do as you suggested and put down weed suppressant and gravel.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 22:36 »
Mine sits on three inches of pea shingle with weed control membrane below it.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35 »
Hi Grannie. I’m new to this allotment lark and I really would like to sow straight into the ground but do I need to consider crop rotation when the plants are so young? I will obviously be moving them to the allotment when they are fully established.
I think it depends on the size of the cold frame. The large houses had huge greenhouses so had huge cold frames usually running down the sides of the greenhouses,think Heligan, they grew & still do grow pineapples in them using copious amounts of fresh manure to keep them warm. I assume yours isn't on that scale so pots is probably your best option.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:34 »
How do you grow pineapples in a cold frame?  I thought they were quite a tall plant?  :)

Many of the huge cold frames like you said ran along the lengths of the big greenhouses, but how they called them cold frames when they were kept hot by the manure I don't know!  They used to grow much of the smaller fruit in them, but I thought the bigger stuff like pineapples and melons etc were grown in the greenhouses themselves.

Did you ever see the Victorian Garden programmes?  Brilliant!

I can't seem to find it on IPlayer at the moment, but there are some clips on youtube

tHf3bNWvidU

xx
Cold frame or not?

Started by stompy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
Cold frame locaton

Started by mwncigirl on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2017, 19:19
by mumofstig
xx
Cold Greenhouse

Started by bobbyt on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2021, 18:10
by mumofstig
xx
cold frames

Started by snow white on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 22:07
by A. Fallowfield

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.