grrrrrrrrrrrrr mites

• 6 Replies

shargi59

grrrrrrrrrrrrr mites
« on: August 27, 2009, 21:17 »
I have been avidly reading everyones advice regarding the dreaded red  mites. I wrote a few days ago (eggs) as my chickens haven't been laying at all. I am now giving them layers pellets all day and I have scrubbed and sprayed their hut and powdered the chickens with mite powder, I looked on one of my chickens tonight and low and behold, I saw a couple of mites on her. The directions on the powder say to use about every six weeks, is it safe to use after a couple of days? I'm itching now thinking of them.
I will scrub the coop out again at the weekend and spray. I read somewhere that someone used neat dettol.would this be okay, or should I use jeyes? Do I get it at a pet supply store? Sorry for all the questions but it's driving me nuts.
I love this site it's a great help.

poultrygeist

Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrr mites
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 21:41 »
Are they red mites or could they be feather or some other mites ?

You need slightly different treatment depending on what they are.

Rob 8)

shargi59

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 15:26 »
Hi Rob
I didn't know there were different mites. These are tiny little pale red/orangy coloured things that are running around in their feathers. Would they stop them laying then, if that's what they are and what can I do?

Thanks

Sharon

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 15:40 »
I used the neat Dettol in the hen house and kept the girls out until it had dried.  I did it almost two weeks ago and the girls have not been bothered by it.  The hen house smelled lovely (if you like disinfectant).  I used it because I read on a previous thread that someone had used it for red mites and I didn't want to have to wait for another product to come through the post and risk increasing the infestation.  I haven't seen any of the beggars since.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 16:29 »
This is the sticky about parasites of all sorts. Hopefully you can identify them and find an appropriate method to get rid of them.

Keep us updated and if you can get a photo, it'd be good. I've had no personal experience of mites but many on here have.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 16:54 »
This is the sticky PG was referring too sometimes he forgets not everyone is psychic! ::) :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

if they are just lice, quite easy to get rid off, a diatom puffer or some Johnsons spray should sort them out ;)

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 17:04 »
 :blush: sorry. :blush:

Thanks Foxy. :)

Rob 8)

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 23:11
by agapanthus
xx
Leg Mites

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 20:59
by daisy1990
xx
mites

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 10:50
by Sassy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.