Getting the Smite powder on the girls

• 9 Replies

rosegarden

Getting the Smite powder on the girls
« on: January 04, 2014, 18:02 »
We have got three hybrid chickens which we have had since July 2013.  We were advised to dust them with Smite powder once a month as aprotection against red mite lice etc.  I already put diatom power in theire dust bath that is in their run so when they have a bath they flick it through their feathers.  Our problem is that each month we seem to get more powder on us than them!!! has anyone got a foolproof way of applying this powder?? or is it really just a hit and miss affair.  There is no sign of mite or lice but I am worried that as it gets warmer it will be more important to get the powder on to their skin.  Any advice would be great.

Prod

Re: Getting the Smite powder on the girls
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 18:21 »
This is what I now do after several attempts which left more on me than the chickens.  Get yourself a turkey baster,(I got mine from Aldi for  a couple of quid but I believe you can get them at The Pound Shop (not sure how much they cost there :D and we don't have one in Brecon) the type that has a removable rubber 'ball' on the end. Fill that with which ever powder you are using, pick up the bird and gently, holding her by the legs, dangle her upside down. She will flap for a few seconds but will eventually calm down and conveniently have her wings spread out. You can then point the baster to the area you want to cover e.g. under wings, stomach, bottom and gently 'puff' the powder out. It is more direct, uses less powder and you know you have covered the parts you want to. I also use the baster in the coops as the baster tube can get into all the corners and joints. I am sure there are more experienced members on here may have other or better ways  but this one works for me. ;)

splash101

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 00:09 »
I'm fairly sure that Smite Powder is regular Diatom powder in fancier packaging.

Red mites dont live on the bird but in nooks and crevices in the housing / bedding.

I treat the housing with a diatom slurry (someone will put  a link up hopefully) which lasts for ages. I sprinkle the powder in the housing and nest boxes when i clean them out and also in their dust bath.

I generally only apply it to the bird when i buy new ones and if there is evidence of mites (which there hasnt been).
It is a messy affair. My daughter wears an all in one suit, sits on a chair holding the chicken while i massage the powder in on one side, under wings, legs, underneath etc and then she turns the chicken around and I do the other side.
I've told her she is never leaving home  :lol: as she is a brilliant help with them.

However you apply it, try to make sure they (and you) dont inhale the powder.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09 »
ps....  forgot to say I only really use my method on new birds before I quarantine them...... but it still works in the coop and bedding

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57 »
another way is to tip some smite or diatom into an old pillow case - place the bird inside that keeping the birds head outside of the case, then gently massage the powder into the bird  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:22 »
I tried that stuff on my old hybrid girl and it didn't seem to kill the the mites.  Frontline spray works in a day and so easy and kind.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Prod

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 14:18 »
I tried that stuff on my old hybrid girl and it didn't seem to kill the the mites.  Frontline spray works in a day and so easy and kind.

You can also use Harkamectin which you can buy on Ebay for about £9 a bottle.  It is really for pigeons (but so is Coxoid & people use that)  but it works on chickens too.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 17:55 »

You can also use Harkamectin which you can buy on Ebay for about £9 a bottle.  It is really for pigeons (but so is Coxoid & people use that)  but it works on chickens too.

don't forget that chickens lay eggs for human consumption so you should get advice from a vet and observe egg withdrawal (in some cases up to 30 days ....)

rosegarden

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 18:09 »
Thanks BabbyAnn  I have just being doing some research on Frontline and Harkamectin and I was just wondering about the effect on the eggs.  There is no evidence of mite or lice and I was just thinking ahead!!  We take our girls to a chicken boarding 'hotel' whenwe go away as I have no family and our neighbours are all getting on and the lady who runs the hotel always asks us when we last treated the birds for mite .... so this is what started me on my quest to find the perfect way to apply the powder.  Smite id diatom with a fancy name and I understand that mite do not live on the girls so why do they tell you to puff it over the girls??  I use diatom power in the house very time I clean it out so is there anything else I can do??  Thanks everyone for your comments.

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 16:51 »
Usual result of dusting birds is that they rush off for a good dustbath. You're right, prevention by stopping the mites getting to the birds - they won't survive through a DE wade - is the way to do it. Fleas are a different problem as they stay on the birds and here dusting the birds will have an effect.

xx
smite.

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:47
by k4t1e195
xx
mite powder vs louse powder

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 20:17
by joyfull
xx
Powder Derris

Started by Wannabee on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
lice powder

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 20:22
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 37 queries.