Advice On What to Expect

• 8 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Advice On What to Expect
« on: January 02, 2014, 16:25 »
Hi Everyone and a Prosperous New Year to You All!  I have a four month old cockerel that is a real character already.  He just started crowing on Christmas Day.  He's been a real teenager when it comes to the ladies too.  He's already bigger than the full grown hens (Daddy was a Brahma).  So far, the crowing is only in the early morning unless he is upset about something.  It this the way he is going to stay?  Will he grow anymore?  I was wondering if his placid personality would change as he got older.  He seems so adult already.  In the picture, he is the tall orange bird in the middle.  That was taken a month ago and now he is towering over the other three ladies.
FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice On What to Expect
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 17:39 »
They are all wait and see questions I'm afraid.

If you are lucky, he will stay a placid, well mannered lad who only crows first thing and then occasionally during the day.  If he has a nasty streak, hopefully' that would have shown itself by now, but there are no guarantees.

Keep interacting with him as much as you can and cross your fingers  :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 22:33 »
Thank you, New Shoot!  Hobart's dad is very placid and huge!  Thank you for your encouragement and I will continue to talk to him and make a fuss over him!   ;)

Debbieta

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 15:13 »
Hi,
We have two cockerals, one is a light sussex and one a cream leg bar, both are very placid and under the thumb of the females, unless they are doing 'what comes naturally'!!!
Both protect and run around after the girls when out and about, but otherwise will hide behind them if I go into the runs/coop.  They also both let the girls eat and forage first!
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Debbie

LittleRedHen

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 23:06 »
Thank you, Debbie!  Hobart makes a deep rosey sound in his throat whenever I put treats out.  He is acting so grown-up for being only four months old!  Your response to my question is so welcome as it tells me that this lad is going to continue to be a great cockerel!   ;)

Debbieta

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 15:47 »
Hi again,
Both my cockerel live next door with each other with a group of hens each.  Neither takes much notice of the other, although I wouldn't consider ever letting both out at the same time.  Each will have a littler 'early' crow in the mornings, but again, once they have heard each other they seem to settle quickly and aren't any noisier than the girls during the day!
Regards,
Debbie

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:16 »
I got 2 big white splash Bramhas, they have grownb up together, yes they face each other off now and then, but nothing spectacular

They always make this little rosey noise when they get any treats, and its only in the morning I hear them, they are both characters in theior own right

I was a bit dubious about keeping them together, but they seem to get on fine, they always sleep next to each other in the evenings

They do a little dance around their selected girl friend, then pounce, they tower above all the other hens, and the chief chook still gets in before them and a peck lets them know she is boss

I have had them since March last year, they are smashing birds and both enjoy a little petting but get fed up after a few minutes

I had bantams, they never liked me petting them, but loved being pushed around in a push chair by my grand daughter

I am still waiting for 'Ant and Dec' to thank me by laying a cockerel egg ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

barley

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38 »
I have a Dutch bantam cockerel

he is so small but boy has he got a big attitude  :mad:

he actually attacks some of my hens as he has no sparring partner - I only let him out with the girls if I'm there as he needs to be kept an eye on

I used to have a larger cock and he was totally opposite - a real gent to the girls ( not like this little beggar is )

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 18:31 »
I have a Dutch bantam cockerel

he is so small but boy has he got a big attitude  :mad:

he actually attacks some of my hens as he has no sparring partner - I only let him out with the girls if I'm there as he needs to be kept an eye on

I used to have a larger cock and he was totally opposite - a real gent to the girls ( not like this little beggar is )

Sounds like little man syndrome!!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
when to expect them to lay

Started by cherrypie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 17:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Broody Hen - What to expect??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 00:38
by wildwitchy
xx
Earliest you can expect a hen to lay?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 23:06
by Casey76
xx
when should i expect my first lot of eggs?

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 22:47
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.