Trimming lawn edges.

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

Trimming lawn edges.
« on: June 04, 2023, 08:55 »
My OH doesn't want me to get a pair of lawn edging shears (? ???) so what would you recommend I get? The lawn is edged with a re-cycled rubber edging from Greenfingers so there is a hard edge I can cut though the depth between it and the border soil isn't that deep.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Trimming lawn edges.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 19:43 »
You can get a lawn edger, which is essentially a half-circle blade that you use to cut the edge of the lawn.
https://diygarden.co.uk/lawn-care/best-lawn-edgers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 23:47 »
Theres a roller with blades on that makes a nice job it has a long handle as well,check handle the gardeners tried and tested way ,left hand on top of handle right hand over left chin on hands and stand for a few minutes if its comfortable it's a good tool    jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 08:53 »
My OH doesn't want me to get a pair of lawn edging shears (? ???) so what would you recommend I get? The lawn is edged with a re-cycled rubber edging from Greenfingers so there is a hard edge I can cut though the depth between it and the border soil isn't that deep.

Why doesn’t he want edging shears?, trouble with the half moon cutter is you lose a bit of lawn each time you use it, it’s ok for once a year big tidy. What about a cordless strimmer that has the head you can turn to trim the edge of lawn, particularly if you’ve got rubber edgings
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 06:21 »
Hello there use to be a lawn edger that fitted on to the side of cylinder mowers ,like a little knife reaper ,it was made by Qualcast there was a flip up plate on the side case to fit it to the end of the cutter    jezza

Dekzion

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 18:06 »
I don't think that a Wolf lawn edger can be beaten. chunky rubber roller with cutting scissors on the side.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 18:22 »
I don't think that a Wolf lawn edger can be beaten. chunky rubber roller with cutting scissors on the side.

Wolf tools are usually very good (though not cheap, particularly if you don't also have the separate handle), but I just couldn't get on with this one. A friend has it, and does nice edges with it, but I couldn't get it to work. Probably user error  ::) :D

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 18:35 »
Lawn edging shears have to be the best option...

I once asked the Mantis people if they could improve their edging blade, which is really an utter waste of time, and they weren't at all interested!

Also, with edgers, you can flick the grass away to rot within a day or so, and save the back-ache needed to pick the stuff up!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 01:41 »
For edging I use a strimmer.  Some strimmers have a guide attached for maintaining a straight line, but I just  maintain a straight line "by eyeball".  It seems to work, I have had no complaints.

The clippings from edging are raked or blown onto the lawn and are mulched into the lawn when I cut the grass afterward.

I have something similar to the Wolf edger (type with the wheel), also something similar to the half moon style edger.  They're fine if you only have short distances to edge. My strimmer takes only a tenth the time though. I have roughly 300+ feet of walks, driveway, and garden edging to take care of every 3 weeks or so.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 01:51 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 09:46 »
Good morning snowdrops,
we have the same rubberised lawn edging (the only complaint is that the support spikes could have been more substantial.  I have found some square section ally that I have turned into 'u' section to sit along the top of the edging, I would recommend this recycled edging to everyone.

We have a "swivel eyed strimmer" care of Freecycle and it's marvelous.  Strim the edges before cutting the grass. :)

Cheers,  Tony.+
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 09:16 »
The recycled rubber edging is really good but it obviously can't prevent the lawn grass growing horizontally over it, so hand-operated edging shears seem the best option to me. I'll get my little gardener on my side and together we'll persuade my OH that it's the best option.  :tongue2:

jezza

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 16:56 »
Hello if you eventually get a pair of shears theres a little collecting box that can be attached to the blades,might not be suitable for recycled edging but ok for open edging   jezza

xx
Lawn equipment

Started by Yorkie on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 08:44
by Yorkie
clip
lawn scarifier

Started by jezza on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 01, 2017, 23:22
by jezza
xx
NEW LAWN MOWER

Started by goose on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 23:14
by Paul Plots
xx
lawn mower

Started by rick0331 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:47
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 51 queries.