Anyone heard of this?

• 13 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Anyone heard of this?
« on: March 04, 2012, 13:37 »
This was sent to me by a Canadian relative:-
Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices of cucumber in a small aluminium pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 13:46 »
No I have never heard of this.

Do let me know hwo well it works  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 14:35 »
Yes, do let us know Moose (the thought of a slug fleeing in terror made me smile so thanks for that  :lol:).
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 15:31 »

It sounds a bit like clear plastic pop bottles full of water keeps cats away ! ! ! ::)    Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 15:55 »
I'm in Canada and even I haven't heard of that one. Must be another Mark Cullen tip  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 16:00 »
Rubbish.

Put the whole text into Google and see how many exact matches you get back.

It's one that's doing the rounds.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 18:27 »
Just a thought DD, where does it say it doesn't work?? All I can see are numerous sites copyinging each others articles, but the ones that I have looked at doesn't say that it doesn't work?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 18:41 »
http://ipm.illinois.edu/hyg/insects/slugs/index.html

The above doesn't say that a plate of cucumbers doesn't work, but it does say that slugs need to drown in some sort of liquid. There's nothing about 'drowning' in a plate of cucumber slices. If anything, the strong scent will have the slugs munching on the cuke slices since they can now bypass the tough cucumber skin. If you added water to the pan of slices, this might work, but again, not kill sufficient quantities since slugs are everywhere and will go for the closest strong food smell. I can't find any results that state the chemical reaction of cucumbers and aluminum foil. Surely, if this method works, the chemical results would have been discovered and published by someone.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 18:59 »
Just a thought DD, where does it say it doesn't work?? All I can see are numerous sites copyinging each others articles, but the ones that I have looked at doesn't say that it doesn't work?

By the same token, have you seen one that says it works? It just the same glib quote.

mattwragg94

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 19:23 »
id say the only way of knowing is to give it a try - so give it a go and see how it goes! and let us know how you go on.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 20:08 »
The IPM article does indeed say that slugs need to drown in some sort of liquid, however, the OP said something along the lines that the scent from the cucumbers acts as a repellant, not that it would kill them.
After reading another webpage, it appears that the original article was printed in The New York Times in 2009, but I cant seem to find the original one.
After having quite a bad year with slugs last year, I for one am quite happy to give it a go, nothing gained and all that, and for the first time I'm also introducing companion planting to my plot in the hope of beating some of the more problematic pests.... hopefully this year will be better than last  :) :)

lacewing

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:23 »
I bought some slug traps, pack of 2 for 99P. from the 99P shop. Filled each one with out of date beer that I found in the garage and placed one each end of my cabbage row. Checked them one week later and they were full to the brem with dead slugs.
I'm going back to the shop this week for more traps!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:14 »
The claims for the aluminium/cucumber pest deterrent are not exactly modest  ::), and without any further details it's impossible to say on what scientific principles it's supposed to work.

Aluminium is actually quite a reactive metal but the useful side-effect of that is that in normal circumstances it  forms a thin protective oxide layer on its surface which resists further corrosion. If something like the humble cucumber really is able to dissolve the protective coating I would expect it to eat its way through a foil dish in no time at all.

My own scepticism rating is nearly 100%, but I have to admit it's certainly a cheap enough idea for anyone wanting to try it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jrko

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 19:14 »
Google-foo put to good use

Cucumbers and almost all members of the Cucurbitaceae family produce Cucurbitacin.  Cucurbitacin is any of a class of biochemical compounds that some plants — notably members of the family Cucurbitaceae, that includes the common pumpkins and gourds — developed in order to defend themselves.  This compound attracts cucumber beetles but repel other insects, such as aphids and spider mites.  No mention of slugs or snails.

I've read up on aluminium, aluminium oxide, aluminium sulphate etc etc.   Aluminium sulphate has been used as a 'green' slug/snail killer but I can see no reaction that would make cucumber special.  

Aluminium sulphate is created by adding aluminium hydroxide to sulphuric acid.  Now aluminium foils natural oxide 'might' degrade because of the rain and release hydrogen = aluminium hydroxide (if yer ridiculously lucky).  If the rain were 'acid enough' you might get aluminium sulphate.  

But it'd be a flipping long shot.  It would take less time to test it that read what I've just been thru - thank crunchy I speed read  :D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 20:22 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

xx
Anyone heard this

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 23:03
by Hey Jude
xx
Has anyone heard of this before??

Started by paulb58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 12:58
by stompy
xx
has anyone heard of this

Started by karlooben on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 19:23
by karlooben
xx
thought I'd heard everything

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 23:43
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.