Rabbit problem

• 14 Replies

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Rabbit problem
« on: April 08, 2007, 18:18 »
Help ! any ideas , the rabbits are even eating the leeks and young onion plants.Thought I read somewhere on a thread about a liquid which can deter if sprayed around the growing veg. Going to try planting Dill and Foxgloves around the patch read these deter too.

we joined today and looking forward to swapping tips and tales !

Hope you're all enjoying the spring sunshine. :)birds eye view of our plot
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Rabbit problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 18:22 »
SHOTGUN. (AND FLASHLIGHT FOR NIGHT). NICE RABBIT AND LEEK PIE> :D
trying to be organic....

WG.

Rabbit problem
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 18:25 »
I agree.  Flying lead is the only thing that rabbits understand.  If you are using a lamp at night then a powerful air rifle is just about up to the task.

Fencing them off is the real answer though.

Trillium

Rabbit problem
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 19:13 »
...and be sure the fence extends about a foot into the ground as the little beggars love to dig.

Bigbadfrankie

Rabbit problem
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 19:57 »
i have fenced my plot but is expensive to do. We have some areas out side the fence where the rabbits are, and this year there is one cheeky half grown rabbit that will only run off when you get about 10' away. They normally are far more nervous than that. But while he stays out side the fence he can stay. I have seen them climb the fence  :shock: but I was about to shoot it :wink:. But back to repelling them I don't go much on any of these potions. They will even eat garlic.
You could put salt on there tails and the catch and relocate them :lol:
always have a target
and an objective.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Rabbit problem
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 20:39 »
Ferret bedding is supposed to deter rats so it might work for rabbits ? if you know some one with a ferret.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Jake

• Rockers
Rabbit problem
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 21:08 »
We once had a siamese cat that would catch and kill rabbits.

You could call your nearest falconry centre and see if they'll do a hunting day, the one my brother works at does this.

Hunt them. 8)
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Bigbadfrankie

Rabbit problem
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 21:20 »
I think an air strike Jake, is a bit over the top :lol:

corndolly

• Experienced Member
rabbit problem
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:42 »
Thanks for your tips guys. I will try anything ! Fencing the plot maybe too expensive but if we have too ,it will happen ! I suppose about 3 foot high should do it !

The overwintered garlic has been left alone , it grieves me to see the young onion plants being chomped , going to put a net tunnel over them today at least till the plants have got established .

There is a falconry centre near here ,I'll contact them.

WG.

Re: rabbit problem
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 09:01 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
Fencing the plot maybe too expensive but if we have too ,it will happen ! I suppose about 3 foot high should do it !
Rabbit wire is 1.2m high so 4 foot.  One ft folded OUTWARDS or dug in, leaves you 3 ft high.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Rabbit problem
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 09:48 »
Thanks WG ,going to measure the veg plot and get a price on fencing !I suppose I'll need a gate or two or do I take up  hurdling ! :)

WG.

Rabbit problem
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:54 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
Thanks WG ,going to measure the veg plot and get a price on fencing !I suppose I'll need a gate or two or do I take up  hurdling ! :)
You're correct.  Hurdling is tough enough but hurdling with a wheelbarrow will never become an Olympic sport!

Attend well to the gates since this is where they'll get in.  Same thing ... 1 foot of wire folded flat on the outside.   Yes, it makes opening / closing awkward so put in a stile beside the gate for yourselves to simply step over.

ruffmesiter_69

Rabbit problem
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00 »
we have fenced ours off only about 15 inches high though, but is enough to deter them off our plot, did a test with just the lttuces and cabbage and it kept them off those, so have extended it round the whole plot now, they will go on someone elses now hehehe.

WG.

Rabbit problem
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 10:23 »
Quote from: "ruffmesiter_69"
we have fenced ours off only about 15 inches high though, but is enough to deter them off our plot
Mmmmmm ... I've seen them jump higher than that when they were dead.  Albeit very recently dead having just been hit by a piece of lead.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Rabbit problem
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 11:37 »
I agree with WG , the rabbits around here would step over 15" fence.I suppose we should be thankful we dont live in Aussie ! Kangaroos must be a nightmare. :) 3' high with 1' folded outwards is what we're planning,seems a shame to fence the veg plot ,like the idea of a stile WG .We've got some metal posts so just got to get wire and chicken mesh. Also got a local chap with air rifle visiting at dusk and dawn, he's had one so far ,  where's there's one another is lurking around somewhere!

xx
Rabbit problem...

Started by Sweetpea C on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 27, 2013, 13:20
by Living in Hope
xx
Rabbit problem

Started by Fenland Girl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 21:17
by washsaint
xx
Rabbit Poo

Started by caliban on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:56
by poppies
xx
Rabbit manure

Started by Newlygreenfingered on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 11:36
by EllenJane

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 35 queries.