A couple of handy hints

• 18 Replies

mrs bouquet

A couple of handy hints
« on: February 07, 2020, 12:42 »
This one I hadn't heard of but a friend told me yesterday, so I checked in Google and have done it this morning.
If you run out of fabric softener, use hair conditioner.   It works and it is cheaper.
The second one is mine which I traded with my friend.
Cut your wire soap pads in half with scissors.   It will save wasting a whole pad, AND it sharpens the scissors.
Have you got any handy hints we should know about.    regards,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wapello

• Experienced Member
Re: A couple of handy hints
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 16:40 »
Roast spuds,,, par boil your spuds when done stand them in cold water to stop them cooking on,
when ready to use drain and dry, put some dry mustard powder in to poly bag  put spuds in bunch top up
and "blow bag up" shake bag up to coat the spuds.
Then into baking dish with hot oil in and roast, there will be no taste of mustard at all just golden crispy
spuds,,
Colin

lettice

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:58 »
For those times in the garden when you do not want to wear gloves.
Push your nails into a bar of soap.
That will stop any dirt getting under your nails.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 13:09 »
If you tidy your office make a list as to where you've put them. It'll save a lot of head-banging because you knew where they were before and will have filed them according to your current logic and state of mind at the time. My dear niece-in-law couldn't find her firearms certificate and looked in every conceivable place known to man so she got a new one. When she came here yesterday she told us she'd found it in one of her utility cupboards. She's eight month's pregnant so perhaps we could forgive that lapse of memory!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 20:18 »
Bit gruesome this one...

Write a Doomsday Book!

Note your solicitors' names for your will, bank details, what you want to do with your stuff, count your blessings while you can!

(Growster has no reason to think this is imminent, but one day it just might be)!

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 00:46 »
Your executor will certainly thank you for it!  Only don’t forget to update the thing now and again.

Store all the sheets and covers for a set of bedding in one it’s pillowcases. That way it’s all together, and if you have multiple sizes of sheets you will know which to use.

Draw an arrow in marker pen on the duvet to show which way it goes into the cover. And while you have the marker out, write the sheet size on the label anyway. There is nothing more irritating that trying to squash a double sheet on to queen bed and then having to go and excavate the linen cupboard looking for another nearly identical whole sheet.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00 »
Did this one this weekend on my hall wooden floor.
If you accidently walk mud on your shoes onto your floors.
Do not wipe off the mud straight away. Just leave for a few hours to let it dry.
You can then just brush it up.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 08:52 »
There is nothing more irritating that trying to squash a double sheet on to queen bed and then having to go and excavate the linen cupboard looking for another nearly identical whole sheet.

Unless it's a single, ignore the size of the bed. Always get a king sized duvet. Then they all take the same sized cover and you never have to fight over who has more duvet. And you can properly sausage roll yourself up in it on cold nights.  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 15:28 »
Tell you what, Growster's has got
His thumbs and his finger just right on the spot!
Thank god I've got none of those black-hooded crows
With their cawing and clawing. For why? Goodness knows.
Al I ask is a "requiescat in pace."
Then to be placed in a small willow basket
Which is all covered over with the posies I love
But not like Ophelia, it's more like my cat
Who died on my birthday, so I just sat
And provided some shade from the hot summer's heat.
And I was with her when her heart beat stopped.
Just at that moment a dove swooped down
And took her soul away.

Just had a thought, why not get my dear rellies and friends to put messages in a bottle, chuck them into the Lune estuary and see where they land?

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 21:18 »
Nice one Goosey!

Thoughts - eh?

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 15:50 »
MB. I'm so sorry I went completely off tangent. Will you ever forgive me? Ok then don't!  :tongue2:
To date, my handiest hint is:
1) Find a washed and un-wanted pillowcase then put your OH's odd socks in it.
2) When more appear from some black hole unknown to NASA just repeat the above procedure until it's full.
3) Choose a day when OH is away then empty said pillowcase and try to match them up, but bear in mind that he'll notice the subtle difference between the light blue one and the really ever-so-slightly darker one you mistakenly paired up five minutes ago. 
4) If one has a hole in it then darn it! By that, I mean chuck in in the waste bin so it's one less to bother about. Any left-overs can be boxed-up and sent to a charity shop where they can meet up with their other pals to have a good natter about their various adventures in space.
5) If Mr Grumpy comes home and says his boss gave him a good talking-to about wearing odd socks, just tell him it's the latest fashion for today's up-and-coming manager.
6) If that doesn't work make him his favourite cottage pie but inadvertently use the beef-flavoured cat food instead of the best mince. Not only will your cat love you to bits but you might get some interesting comments like "If this is the kind of meals your Cordon Bleu classes helped you to do then I'll willingly pay your next year's subs." Just a little caveat, get him to put it in writing!
7) If that fails turn your duvet inside-out and examine all the corners. 
8) As Valentine's day is fast approaching just get him some new ones but with another caveat. Get two packs and give him one, then hide the other pack so you can secretly replace those that went astray somewhere in the upper stratosphere. 
9) If that doesn't get him in a loving mood, pinch his credit card, ring up your friends, phone for a taxi to take you to your favourite restaurant, choose from the a-la-carte menu and their recommended wines for each course, stay overnight, then sober up in the hot spa whilst they give you a facial.
10) If he gives you a bad time when you get home ,just tell him you bought him a wax kit for the removal of his chest hairs which he's always wanted and will be applied by an up and coming local masseur. New balls please!

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 17:58 »
There is nothing more irritating that trying to squash a double sheet on to queen bed and then having to go and excavate the linen cupboard looking for another nearly identical whole sheet.

Unless it's a single, ignore the size of the bed. Always get a king sized duvet. Then they all take the same sized cover and you never have to fight over who has more duvet. And you can properly sausage roll yourself up in it on cold nights.  :D

My duvet is an extra long, extra wide superking, which I inherited from my mother in law when she downsized. She’s quite posh and buys expensive stuff (FiL is very fall, hence the extra length) so it’s a good one and fits nicely on my superking bed. Which all five feet of me sleeps in all by myself most nights. It’s silly but it’s what I already had!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 13:01 »
4) If one has a hole in it then darn it! By that, I mean chuck in in the waste bin so it's one less to bother about.

Duster.
Just turn inside out to take it outside then put dust side out to beat the dust out.
Also don't put your finger out the hole.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 13:02 »
My duvet is an extra long, extra wide superking

I've never seen a superking or I would have gladly got one. :(
Only get that you can get covers for.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 10:18 »
"Hurricane force pegs".
5 years of using them and they've keep our laundry on the line in all named storms that have been dry enough to have laundry out in. Their just under £6 on Amazon for 72, last for a few years, more if you take them in and don't leave them on the line in snow and frost like I do. Made from recycled plastic.

xx
Just a couple of noshery observations...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

52 Replies
Last post February 11, 2020, 07:32
by Growster...
xx
Wales is Closed for a couple of hours

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 17:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 52 queries.