pumkin wins

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

pumkin wins
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:53 »
we took first prise  with our pumpkin hosted by and at our local the badgers arms yesterday mainly attended by fellow allotment holder and others together with a lovely buffet and a few jars of real ale truly a real treat for all who attended and I kept fine

first prise was lovely pumpkin dish mad by a local potter from our own village clay something of a keepsake but apart from all that we all had an enjoyable afternoon talking  gardening

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: pumkin wins
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 13:02 »
A good time had by one and all, plus a prize - well done!

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 13:13 »
Great stuff!

jambop

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 18:02 »
Brilliant well done !
I grew pumpkins for the first time this year and I did OK with I think five or six basketball sized orange pumpkins from them. I was not trying to grow prize winner but more something edible and I have succeeded... all I have to do now is use them to make something nice to put on a plate  :D  I have heard they make a decent soup are good roasted and made into a very sweet pie anybody got any fool proof recipes ?
Think I might try to canvas opinion on a competition for the village  gardeners for a bit of fun

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 16:53 »
we collected our pumpkins from the badgers arms yesterday because we left the car back in our yard after delivering the pumpkins on Saturday well I knew walking home would be the order of the day after a few real ales  :D

also the landlady wants the wife to make a pumpkin pie for the pub sounds good to me although we do use our pumpkins for making soup and a base for many things the pie will be a challenge looked at many recipes to try

we also intend grow two varieties of pumpkin next season Jack o' lantern and  crown prince for cooking

FirstClassBoy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 21:19 »
Good to read that you won - but the weight would have made it more interesting.

I didn't manage to set any Pumpkins this season till the 15th of August - in fact I was so disgusted that I nearly ripped them out ( I gree four plants of two strains) but relented - the resultant 43Kgs on 6th September was enough to win my local show!  In 2018 I had one weighing at 240lbs at the same show and one I left to grow on made just under 400lbs by late October.

I also grew four plants aiming at a giant Marrow - this year 49.9kgs  last year 99lbs

xx
advice from u BIG pumkin growers

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 15:30
by Babycat
xx
Jack o' Lantern Pumkin question

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 12:25
by Marcus10
xx
What variety of Pumkin/Onion for next years veg show.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 23:10
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 46 queries.