Green manure

• 4 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Green manure
« on: June 06, 2015, 20:24 »
I'm new to this allotment milarky and I've been reading up on green manure. I understand how it works and it sounds fab - a rye/vetch winter mix seems to fit the bill. My question is this - when my allotment lies mostly empty over the winter - all beautifully covered in green manure plants - what's stopping the whole thing becoming covered in weeds? I know it's supposed to suppress weeds - but does it? I can't really weed round it. I can't put my feet up all winter...can I?   :wacko:
Carpe Diem

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 20:30 »
Some green manure grows fast and thick - outperforms the weeds basically - and then generally you have to cut them back and dig 'em in before they flower and set seed... at which point you could classify them as weeds I suppose (the wrong plant in the wrong place at the wrong time...)

I did green manure a couple of years back - can't remember the variety, but it grew well and there were very few (annual) weeds amongst it. I've got phacelia to plant out this year once the general growing season is over.

Pip pip,
Balders

Ro-Ro

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 21:04 »
You do get a few weeds in between, but nothing like what you would get on open soil.

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 21:42 »
As above, the green manure really cuts the weeds down. Careful what you sow, dome takes more digging than others. Phacelia was best for me, strip when done and that acts as mulch to suppress weeds.

Other things that work are mushroom compost, manure and h.m. Compost.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 23:30 »
rye/vetch is what I have used for the last few years. Works great and the soil is much better for it. Not really had a problem with weeds. It does a good job of suppressing them.

As others have mentioned phacelia is another nice one. I let some go to flower as the bees love it. Even if some of it sets seed its not particularly invasive and easy to deal with.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 23:45 by Eightball »

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 29 queries.