Grapes for Winemaking

• 2 Replies

Sparkie

Grapes for Winemaking
« on: October 13, 2010, 13:48 »
I have picked about 35lbs of Grapes from my 2 vines.  I put them through a juicer and have put the juice into a large bucket.  There must be 2 - 3 gallons I estimate.  How much yeast and sugar should I add ??  I know that if I leave it as it is, I will get white wine, but if I add the residue, it will be red.  Is it best to keep the residue tied up in muslin, or just to put it all in with the juice and strain later.

Help!! ???
Maggie

SG6

Re: Grapes for Winemaking
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 21:16 »
You need a hydrometer to measure to specific gravity now (unfermented).
Then determine how much sugar if any is needed to get the SG to about 1.105 for medium.
Then add the required amount of sugar to each gallon - if the juice needs additional sugar.
Then ferment as normal.

If you want Red then seems easier to ferment with the skins etc floating around the bucket.

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
Re: Grapes for Winemaking
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 22:00 »
I have picked about 35lbs of Grapes from my 2 vines.  I put them through a juicer and have put the juice into a large bucket.  There must be 2 - 3 gallons I estimate.  How much yeast and sugar should I add ??  I know that if I leave it as it is, I will get white wine, but if I add the residue, it will be red.  Is it best to keep the residue tied up in muslin, or just to put it all in with the juice and strain later.

Help!! ???

What are the variety of grapes you have? are they Pinot Noir?
I would agree with SG6 to let the skins ferment with the juice if you want red wine then strain off after about 20 days or when the skins have lost there colour.
you will only be able to make a very light red wine nout like Rioja or bordeaux, thats why i stick to whites.

Silky  :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

xx
Winemaking equipment

Started by AndyRVTR on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 18:26
by AndyRVTR
xx
Winemaking in W. London

Started by Daisyinlondon on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 18:10
by Kleftiwallah
xx
grapes

Started by audrey padmore on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:11
by audrey padmore
xx
56kgs of grapes pressed.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 11:41
by grinling

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.