more mucky bums

• 13 Replies

karlooben

more mucky bums
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:36 »
 3 out of my 4 white sussex birds have mucky bums that came on all of a sudden yesterday but the other 1 so far is clear , could it be something they have eaten ?? one of them is slighty quieter then normal but the others are still pretty lively .

they were wormed  2 months ago roughly so i doubt they will need doing just yet , but the one thing i did think about yesterday was that along with my isa brown who has had a mucky bum for a few months now all came from the same place and i assume from the same breeder as these ppl i brought them from dont breed poulty .
i cant be doing with washing 3 or 4 birds every few days so ahs anyone got any ideas on whats causing this , they are all feed layers pellets an now some fresh veg seeing that its now all starting to grow .

p.s cutting the vent feathers how far down to the skin do you go and do u cut a line down from the vent so the poo drops clear of any feathers or just around the vent if anyone has any pics of this done that would be great  :lol: dont want to be giving them a bad hair cut .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: more mucky bums
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:47 »
I have one that I had to trim her fluffy bits but it was just that a slight trim not a short back and sides job  :lol:
Check that your fellow allotment owners aren't feeding them plants that they shouldn't have.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49 »
My hens go squitty when I've fed them too much fresh greens.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 13:38 »
i think i may have found out , daffodils are bad for them  aint they  had some on the outside of the run right on top of the fence wandering if they have pulled them though the wire as i found some stems inside run could if it is them could it kill the girls . although i have corrugated sheets on that side it looks like the girls have dug out beneath that but have now cleared them and blocked that area of .

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 13:44 »
My white/light sussex (pure breed ones - can't remember which name goes with the hybrid?) almost always have a mucky bum.  They stayed clean after moulting through the winter but weren't laying, but as they have come back into lay (well occasionally anyway) back have come the mucky bums!

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 15:07 »
mine have eaten daffs with no problems afterwards  :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 15:19 »
I am glad other people are having this problem... I thought it was just me.  Despite the obvious health issues that it could have been I was stumped as to why they would be dirty.  :wacko:

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 16:02 »
well looks like i could rule out the daffs then phewwwwwwwwwwww, i hope mine dont stay dirtty its bad enough them having little green patches { helped with painting  :lol: the shed } and puprle spray on them  :lol: but at least if they get nicked i'll know what birds are mine .

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 20:23 »
I don't know if it helps looby, but mine get mucky bums if I slightly overdo the Biodry. I've learnt to be very careful!!

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 21:11 »
 i wander then being very nosy parkers that my girls are that one went a bit o.t.t with the stalson f powder i put down in the corner of the house  :unsure: i did put a little bit more down then i think i should of well lets hope what ever it was doesnt last long  like anything though there could be a million and one answers .

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 18:58 »
i am back  :D on this topic well my white sussex have seemed to of cleared up via the mucky bums but now my maran seems to be slightly dirty i was wandering could it be the lettuce as they havent really had any for quite some time ??  i really wanna get to the bottom of whats causing this .

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 19:21 »
yep lettuce can give them the sqits  :lol:

lisa80

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 19:27 »
one of my araucanas had to have her bum washed yesterday on inspection it was just poo but wanted to be sure  ::)i think she may have stopped laying too :(but seems well in herself.Glad im not the only one :)

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 19:52 »
ohh looks like we  may of found the cure , but i have been told that lettuce { of course not loads of it in one go }  is good for them.

xx
Mucky Bums?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 18:38
by Tigerwren
xx
Mucky bums in POL pullets

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 14:51
by Caralou
xx
dirty bums

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:00
by karlooben
xx
pecking bums!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 08:11
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.