Very New Looking For Advice

• 4 Replies

Flashard

Very New Looking For Advice
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:57 »
Hello there, we recently moved to a new house in Berkshire and the residence have a communial piece of land that we are considering cultivating a part of.

The best location from a useage point of view is at the far end of the plot, measures around 25 metres by 25 metres but is shaded by tall evergreens that are direclty adjacent at the south of thre area and is west facing so only gets the mid to late afternoon sun.

My questrion is, is there any point in cultivating a plot of this size and in this location?

Thank you in advance for any advice/guidance

Regards

Kleftiwallah

Re: Very New Looking For Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:15 »
"Communial ground"  sounds like an ideal chance for someone to start laying down the law and sticking their nose in with criticism  :mad:and grudges :tongue2:!  I should get it down on paper what you are about to do informing all other residents.

The ground beneath tall evergreens is notoriously dry, lacking in nutrient and acid from fallen leaves.  Plus the amount of sun doesn't sound enough.   How is that for a wet blanket? ? ?   I should think long and hard about this project, but if you gop ahead I wish you the best.   :D  Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 13:24 »
Welcome to the forum :)
size wise it's fine, but I have reservations about the tree roots and the light levels.

You could always start small scale with the area furthest from the conifers and see what the ground is like, how many tree roots are there. It may need a lot of manure/compost in the first few years, and feeding during the growing season, until the soil is improved.

My garden faces west and next door have tall conifers and in winter they do cast a lot of shade. However in summer there is easily enough light for crops ;)

Good luck

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 23:58 »
You say "evergreens". Does that mean fir? Ground under trees is usually quite acid, particularly with firs.
There are ways of getting over that...liming or using mushroom compost which has lime in it and clearing fallen leaves.
I have tried growing stuff where a fir was and it DOES grow with lots of muck added.
The light thing is more difficult but many crops will tolerate a bit of shade...some even prefer it.
Have a think about it and do some research....
Good luck and good growing!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 00:07 »
Have a look at what's growing there already

You could make it work as you could put site huts and compost bins in the least fertile parts of the site, or car parking etc and put the growing area in the bit that gets most light

I wouldn't be a negative as Kleftiwotsit. Communal growing can be very enjoyable indeed and lots of people do it quite harmoniously  :)

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
PSB advice please

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 13:18
by surbie100
xx
Advice please.

Started by Mythi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:54
by devondave

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 37 queries.