Advice Please

• 5 Replies

pistonbroke

• Pistonbroke Down The Allotment
Advice Please
« on: September 11, 2008, 03:57 »
This is my first year on an allotment and I would be greatfull for a bit of advice.
 I have a number of tomatoe plants in pots and have just been told that all the plants have blight. Do I need to dispose all of the tomatoes as well as the plants or can they be removed and saved?

Thanks
I love my allotment, but OH! the back pain.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:12 »
i think you can salvage some to eat depends on how bad!  but i am only a beginner myself so not 100% sure but somebody who is more than qualified to answer will be along shortly to help! :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

compostqueen

Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:48 »
if they have ripening tomatoes on, I'd cut the blighty foliage off and see what happens. I did that with mine last year and got decent crops off the bog standard varieties like GD and Tigerella. The more exotic varieties were complete write-offs unfortunately

If there's no fruit on I'd chuck the lot out. Don't put it in your home compost bin though, either burn it or put it in the council's one

poppies

Advice Please
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 14:07 »
My tomato plants have also got blight so i rescued what green tomatoes  i could and am about to make chutney with them

I think you are supposed to burn the plants.

pumpkin-queen

Advice Please
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 22:07 »
Blight is an airborne disease, but better safe than sorry, I would burn all affected plants. As for the toms, our outside plants went down with blight really quickly. All toms that obviously affected were assigned to bonfire pile, rest (green and red) were put in a paper bag and taken home. Checked bag every day and ditched any that developed dodgy looking brown patches. Don't know if they'd hurt you or taste bad but they didn't look appetising! After a few days, rest of toms looked ok and have gone in chutney, on sandwiches etc. So not a total waste!

polly tunnel

blighted tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 17:30 »
Last year all my tomato plants got blight and so I took all the green fruit off (there were loads) and put them in big dishes in the conservatory and they all ripened beautifully, I burnt the plants. Luckily this year no such problems but I would give it a go, the worst case you throw them away any how.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
Fat Hen Advice.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2022, 15:59
by Russell Atterbury
xx
No Dig Advice

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 09:42
by J_B

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 28 queries.