Instruction manual gripes.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Instruction manual gripes.
« on: May 18, 2019, 14:48 »
Please excuse me but I'm in a bit of a grumpy mood today. I ordered an Olympus digital voice recorder so I could tape various memories from a dear friend and local historian. When I opened the package and removed the recorder I found a manual which consisted of a folded page of A4 which has very little info such as how to name and store your files as I only wanted to record someone's memories so they'll be preserved for others to hear. Went on line to get their booklet and had to print out 80 pages! Anyone else had this problem?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

lettice

Re: Instruction manual gripes.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 15:11 »
Much prefer a pdf or online manual.
Store them all in my cloud storage apps, saves all the clutter in a cupboard of differing manuals.
Also keep a tab in my onenote, with all the online help pages.
Been doing that for many many years, even decades.
Tend to ditch the manual with the cardboard packaging in the recycle bin once I have hunted out the online manual.
For most tech, the manual in the box is normally out of date anyway with product firmware updates.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 15:47 »
It's an increasingly common practice GG - they'll tell you they're helping to save the planet, but if you want a printed manual then it's more a case of them saving paper at your expense.

As ever, the assumption seems to be that everyone is internet connected and computer savvy these days, which is still far from true...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 17:06 »
It's an increasingly common practice GG - they'll tell you they're helping to save the planet, but if you want a printed manual then it's more a case of them saving paper at your expense.

As ever, the assumption seems to be that everyone is internet connected and computer savvy these days, which is still far from true...

And never mind the ink your printer is going to use !  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 17:59 »

I spent 3 years at college to gain City & Guilds in Comunication of Technical Information, also a second C&G Information Technology) even a dabble into the printing industry.  The tutor told us that it is now an S.I. (Statutory Instrument) that it is good cause for returning goods if the documentation is inadequate.  If you cannot use the device due to the manual/documentation being duff, send it back and get a refund.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:05 »
I would have liked a "How to get you started" manual then I could look at the on-line one for further info if needed. I'll just have to go through it all and ditch the pages I don't want. Having had a quick look for storing files it seems they are stored in folders as a number rather than an actual name which is a bit of a nuisance and you have to go to the calendar menu to see when the taping occurred. Great! I'll have to make a paper list so I know what I taped on what day.  >:(

al78

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 15:35 »

And never mind the ink your printer is going to use !  Mrs Bouquet

Having a pdf copy means you can print out only the pages that are relevant to you. You don't need paper copies of the instructions in six different languages, and you probably don't need to print out every English page, just the pages that tell you how to do what you want to do. Paper and ink are therefore saved on a population scale.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:24 »
I know that would have been the sensible thing to do, but feeling grumpy I couldn't be bothered going through all the 80 pages to select what I needed.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 47 queries.