Flubenvet for small flocks

• 13 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« on: September 25, 2008, 14:54 »
This has now been released by the manufacturers.  

This is the information that I have been sent:

Flubenvet 1 % Medicated Premixture 60 gram pack is ideal for people who own only a few chickens and is an in-feed medication which is used for 7 consecutive days per treatment. Re-treatment is necessary due to the potential for re-infection every 10-12 weeks depending on individual risk factors. Where a worm problem has been diagnosed, re-treatment after 3 weeks is recommended.

Flubenvet can be purchased from a licensed agricultural merchant or a veterinary practice and is available on prescription from your veterinarian, pharmacist or suitably qualified person. There is zero withdrawal on chicken eggs and poultry can be slaughtered for consumption 7 days after the end of treatment.

Flubenvet 1 % Medicated Premixture is prepared from Flubenvet Premix which contains flubendazole 5 % w/w, with Vm number 00242/4056

It is likely to retail at £17.00 plus VAT and each 60 gram pack contains
enough to treat around 20 chickens (depending on size)

For further product information contact Janssen Animal Health on 01494 567555.

I have queried the cost of this and this was the reply:

As of 1st October, new legislation on the use of in feed medicines will
become active. In order to comply with new regulations it has been necessary
to produce the new 60gm Flubenvet 1% pack, which has meant producing a new
more dilute formulation with new packaging requirements. These changes have
incurred significant add on manufacturing and quality control costs but
Janssen Animal Health are confident that this new pack will bring the
benefits of worm control to back yard poultry keepers.

I am awaiting information about suppliers but am told that most animal health suppliers should be able to source the new packs.

Dosage and Administration

Dosing Instructions
Medicated feed should be fed for 7 consecutive days.
Incorporate the required amount of the product into the daily feed ration.
The daily ration should be fed as a “complete ration” during the 7 days. At the inclusion rates in the table below, for chicken and geese the ration will contain 30 ppm flubendazole and for turkeys 20 ppm.
Dosage
<Chicken and Geese
 <Turkeys

<60 g of product (the whole tub) medicates 20 kg of feed
 <60 g of product (the whole tub) medicates 30 kg of feed

<30 g of product medicates 10 kg of feed
 <18 g of product medicates 9 kg of feed

<6 g of product medicates 2 kg of feed
 <6 g of product medicates 3 kg of feed

A level measure of the scoop included = 6 g of wormer. Use the scoop to measure the correct amount of product to mix into the feed as per the table above. The dosage is dependent on the amount of feed that each bird consumes over the 7-day treatment period. Larger birds eat more feed and receive more medication according to their weight.
Mixing advice
The volume of product to be mixed into the feed is small. Mix very well for even distribution.
Initially, mix the required volume of product into a cup of feed. Mix very well. Add this to a bowl of feed and mix very well. Repeat twice more, every time into a larger volume of food. Mix well
Treatment frequency
Birds on the ground with known worm infestations are susceptible to re-infestation. In such cases, re-treatment with another 7-day course, after 3 weeks is recommended.

For dosing a few hens by administering on a treat I have worked out the quantities:

The 240g tub is 2.5% flubendazole
The 60g tub is 1.0% flubendazole

The correct dose rate for a medium sized chicken of the 2.5% formulation was 0.12g per day.

I follows therefore that the dose rate for the 1% formulation would be 0.12 x 2.5 = 0.3g per day = 2.1g total for the 7 day treatment.

The scoop enclosed in the pack measures out approx. 6 grams and would therefore be enough to treat 3 hens for 7 days.

Divide that up as you find easiest  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 15:40 »
Bit pricey still Aunty !  you'd be better off buying This which is the larger quantity  :?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 19:12 »
H**lfire, they're not kidding about the cost!
£17!  My tub that must dose 1000s cost about £8!

Think I will stick to the faff of measuring out 5g into 4kg and consider myself lucky.

Aunty, I know from the posts this smallholder size has been something you have been chasing them over for a while and I think that's great. Thank you as I think without people like you enquiring and following up manufacturers wouldn't bother to consider people like us who keep poultry on a small scale but to be honest I think it's another case of a pharmacutical company out for every penny!

(Sorry got a bit carried away there but  still think it)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 19:24 »
I was rather staggered by the price too when you can buy 240g of the 2.5% game keepers formulation for about £15 maximum and that's enough to dose over 200 chickens.   The small flock formulation which will dose 20 birds for over £17 is a :shock:

Having said that it will take me about 50 years to use up a tub of game keepers stuff and 10 years to use up the small flock pack.  The main advantage of the small flock pack is the fact that being more dilute it will be easier to accurately dose the birds.

Like so many things we buy the cost of development, packaging and distribution seems to be the major part of the price.

I will pass any comments in this thread to them !!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 22:32 »
I think unless you only have 2 or 3 birds (such as your good self), it is still no big problem to mix the few grams into their feed from the big pack.

I suspect they're just cashing in on the expected demand from low volume backyarders and hope they won't realise they can still buy the bulk tub.

Might have to think about the advice given to people on this forum to include the merits of convenience versus cost.

Rob 8)

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Flubenvet improved
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 22:42 »
Don't know if anyone else has found this put but a friend of mine called the company that makes this stuff and the consultant vet was very helpful. As those of you that use this stuff know it's a PIA to mix the powder and feed, like Verm-X, they are bringing out a water soluble formulation at some point, if this hasn't been done already and I just am unaware.  Watch this [or that] space in the licensed feed stores...

naturesparadise

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 00:08 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I was rather staggered by the price too when you can buy 240g of the 2.5% game keepers formulation for about £15 maximum and that's enough to dose over 200 chickens.   The small flock formulation which will dose 20 birds for over £17 is a :shock:

Having said that it will take me about 50 years to use up a tub of game keepers stuff and 10 years to use up the small flock pack.  The main advantage of the small flock pack is the fact that being more dilute it will be easier to accurately dose the birds.

Like so many things we buy the cost of development, packaging and distribution seems to be the major part of the price.

I will pass any comments in this thread to them !!

well they are charging that much for one reason

to make cash you see it works like this
they sell the large tubs but most back garden chicken keeper is going to say "well im not going to need such a large amount i only have 6 chickens "
so they go and pay £17 for the small one

so now the company is making double the amount for a smaller pack

its how asda and every other big biz look at things

makes me sick that they get away with ripping people off
cos they know they need it so they charge what ever they want
 :twisted:  :twisted:

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:21 »
As of 1st October, new legislation on the use of in feed medicines will
become active. In order to comply with new regulations it has been necessary
to produce the new 60gm Flubenvet 1% pack, which has meant producing a new
more dilute formulation with new packaging requirements. These changes have
incurred significant add on manufacturing and quality control costs but
Janssen Animal Health are confident that this new pack will bring the
benefits of worm control to back yard poultry keepers.

Reading between the lines of the above I suspect that when the license expires for the 240g pot then it will be withdrawn so the only option will be to purchase the 60g packs.
I'm guessing that they would be unlikely to be granted a new license on the same terms.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:24 »
This is the latest information I have from the manufactureres:

There has been great interest in the product.

Any vet can order the product in if they are not already stocking. Also
available by mail order from Interhatch in Chesterfield. All the animal
health merchants: CWG, Mole Valley Farmers, Countrywide etc are all
stocking.

Hope this helps

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:39 »

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:11 »
Is there a limited shelf life to this stuff?    With 3 chooks it doesn't make much sense to buy a tonne if it's got a finite shelf life?

Perhaps we should form a buying group and divvy it up in Aunt Sal's kitchen and flog it from there. She won't mind  8)

Runs off tittering  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 13:19 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Is there a limited shelf life to this stuff?    With 3 chooks it doesn't make much sense to buy a tonne if it's got a finite shelf life?

Perhaps we should form a buying group and divvy it up in Aunt Sal's kitchen and flog it from there. She won't mind  8)

Not a bad idea  I have nearly full tub of flubenvet that I'd be willing to split for a swop or a few stamps...  exp is 2011 I think

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 13:52 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"

I've done that before but  ............    it's not legal  :!:

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 14:25 »
might have guessed  :lol:

xx
Flubenvet in small doses

Started by PJM on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 22:06
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
mixing two flocks

Started by yacks on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:49
by yacks
xx
blending flocks

Started by Vi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 11:17
by Vi
xx
mixing two flocks

Started by yacks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 21:38
by yacks

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.