Carrots in tubes?

• 3 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Carrots in tubes?
« on: March 17, 2008, 15:05 »
I was telling a friend that I'd been given my plot and we were discussing what I want to grow.

I said I was thinking of getting an old bath to grow some carrots in as my soil is quite heavy.

She said that her grandad had very carrot unfriendly soil . He used to dig out a trench, put a row of kitchen roll tubes in and fill them with a mix of fine soil before planting a carrot in each one. She said his carrots were always perfect!  :?

Anyone else heard of this :?:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

gobs

Carrots in tubes?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 20:30 »
Ahem, yes. If you read around a bit just on these forums everybody is doing it. :roll:  :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Carrots in tubes?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 23:11 »
I know a lot of people are using toilet rolls for starting seeds off in - I even started a thread on this a while ago... but I've been keeping a special look out for carrot topics and hadn't noticed anyone filling an entire carrot bed with kitchen roll inserts. I must have missed it on a rare day away from the PC :wink:  :roll:

Apart from the hassle involved I'd have thought that if a carrot wanted to fork, a soggy cardboard insert wouldn't do much to stop it! :?

I think I'll stick to plan A and get a bath tub.  :)

gobs

Carrots in tubes?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 23:20 »
I personally never could be bothered with this exercise, plenty else to do. :lol :wink:

Yes, good point, even tarmac does not stop some plant roots. It's probably not the loo roll insert that is going to refrain them from forking, which rots down soon, anyway. Well, it's commonly used, well, 'cos it can be used for growing something in it. :lol:

xx
seeds in tubes

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 13:33
by unconcerned
question
strawberries in tubes

Started by redwine@roses on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 23:34
by Paul Plots
xx
grow tubes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2021, 10:59
by JayG
xx
leeks in tubes

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:03
by loobs61

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.