my first winter

• 8 Replies

kellym

my first winter
« on: November 28, 2010, 15:22 »
hello everyone this is my first winter with my girls and was just after a few pointers really. firstly will they be warm enough? we had a very hard frost last night and the temperature today hasnt passed above -2  :mellow: i went out to them this morning and even thier pooh was frozen  :ohmy: they sleep together in thier nest boxes (they dont like to perch) my coop has a little window in it which has condensation on every morning so im guessing its warm in there compared to outside anyways, do i need to be giving them extra beeding or anything? also any pointers on how to keep thier water from freezing through the day would be very helpful as me and my partner work from 7-2. we have been in all day today and i put the water out for them at around 8 this morning and by 10 it was frozen over already  :( i dont want them going thirsty! any help is always very much appreciated  :D

daisy1990

Re: my first winter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 16:16 »
they will be fine. hens huddle together for warmth and survive very cold temperatures.  They do hate draughts so just make sure they are sheltered if possible.  Do they have access to the outside at all?  If so they can get moisture from rain/ frost/ snow/ greens that they eat.  I think you can buy a device to keep drinking water ice free if you are worried but as long as you change it when you can (a couple of times a day they should be fine (they have no access to water overnight normally)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

kellym

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 17:19 »
Thanks very much daisy my mind can rest a little now when I'm at work lol they have a resonable size run in they day when im not here then once I get home I let them loose round my garden. I  give them greens like lettuce and that but  don't know if its ok to give them something everyday? Is there a limit to how much greens they should eat?

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 17:30 »
not as far as I know.  Mine are on grass all day and eat the clover in it in preference to the grass.  They are not particularly fond of other greens but love fruit (apples, grapes and melon particularly) and mealworms are their absolute favourite thing in the world! Are these your first hens?  I have only had mine for 7 months so am still learning a lot from others on this site.  You normally get lots more answers to posts so the cold weather must be affecting everyone!

kellym

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 19:08 »
yes these are my first, i have only had them just over a month so im like a new mum with lots of questions and lots of worrying  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 19:40 »
I have the same problem.  Leave house at 10am and water frozen by 3pm when I get back.  Have given up on the drinker at the moment and am using a plastic bowl that I take in every night and refill.  Am finding the drinker very fiddley and can never get the bottom (or is it the top?) back on.
Jinty

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 20:24 »
Now it's got colder all 3 of my girls have taken to huddling up on the floor together & have left the perch - perhaps it's warmer on the floor.
I've put extra woodchip down on the floor of the coop & extra Straw in the nestboxes.
I'm doing what most seem to do & bring their water in at night as it's easier to fill it up than defrost it!
Still getting their warm porridge in the morning with the odd piece of cabbage etc thrown in now & then.
Been mixing Poultry Spice in with their porridge & feed along with crushed eggshell.
I have also put a tarpaulin sheet over the coop, leaving the door with the window in uncovered so not to stop air circulation & they all seem quite happy for now.
Otherhalf made me bring the Guniea Pig in the other day for the winter, but she won't let me bring my girls in  :(

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 19:29 »
I first got my chooks last December and found all the same problems with the frosts and iced water pots. I make sure they have plenty of bedding = they soon sort out where they are warmest. I have found that putting several water containers out makes a difference if they are sheltered. I have been putting them under the house at night and none have frozen but I do have tarpaulins on the roof and two sides of the run which makes a huge difference.

kellym

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 19:40 »
thanks everyone for all the advice im very grateful  :D

xx
Winter Tip

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:27
by Derculees
xx
bedding for winter

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 18:31
by sussexchook
xx
Lighting in Winter

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 20:18
by woodside farm
xx
First winter, 2 questions

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:47
by MICK C

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 28 queries.