Bedding.

• 10 Replies

NormandyMary

Bedding.
« on: March 10, 2009, 21:22 »
Even though I live in the middle of the countryside, surrounded by farms, Im finding it very difficult to get my hands on straw for the girls nesting boxes and floor of their house. Im now thinking of changing them to woodshavings, as there are at least two good sawmills in this area. Is this going to be enough for them? I just feel that without the straw they wont be warm enough. Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks.

NormandyMary

Re: Bedding.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 21:27 »
OOps, just seen that there's a similar thread about the opposite problem to me. Sorry!

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 21:28 »
Hi Mary.

we've only ever used shavings on the floor but use straw in the nestbox. No reason why you shouldn't use shavings there too. :)

I'm amazed you can't get any. Apparently shavings are in short supply here due to lack of timber being used in the building downturn.
Might have to get creative in the months to come. :)
Rob 8)

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 21:33 »
I'm trying out shredded paper - we've plenty of it. Then when it needs changing it goes on the compost heap complete with 'compost activator ' from the hens.

Has anybody experienced problems with shredded paper??
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 21:40 »
I don't use any straw at all, just wood shavings.  I buy a huge bale and it lasts ages.  Wondered about shredded paper as shred all paperwork, let me know how that goes.  Been reading about hemcore too sounds good is it expensive, how much and how big is bales roughly?

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 21:43 »
I tried paper with the chicks and they promptly ate it!  The big girls have Jopack horse bedding on the floor of the coop and some straw in the nest box, which is promptly thrown out into the run after about 2 days!  Th Jopack has been the most successful bedding so far.  Be careful with woodshavings and only use it if it's been dust extracted, as the dust  can cause respiratory problems.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 21:46 »
We use shavings too, with the occasional bit of straw in the nest boxes.  Brian doesn't like me using shredded paper, but I did try a bit in the little house that I had some 'pecked' chicks in.  I think they ate most of that too, it certainly disappeared quickly!

But tere was a TV programme a couple of weeks ago were they showed an Eco Hotel, and it used shredded paper in its nest boxes all the time.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 21:49 »
Yeah only use wood shavings for pets with dust extracted :)  Thought with the paper it would get messy, but they keep their nest box clean most of the time!

mamashango184

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 10:13 »
I use shredded paper with my ex bat girls.  I mainly put it in the nest boxes, and the girls file in one after the other and arrange it to their liken.  they trample it down to nothing, but its free (i use my shredder to shred the bills and junk mail, got loads of each!) so i change it every three days.  Under that is wood shavings and newspaper. 

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12 »
We use newspaper on the bottom of the sleeping area - just sheets of it laid out: then in the morning we roll it up and throw it on the compost.  there are usually enough urates to make the paper soft and squashy enough to break down.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 13:45 »
I like Aubiose or Hemcore if I can't get the Aubiose

I buy a huge £10 bale and it lasts me ages as I only have the one Eglu  :)

xx
Bedding

Started by SoniaBA on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 18:41
by SoniaBA
xx
Bedding

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 18:49
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bedding

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 16:18
by daisy1990
xx
Bedding

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 18:25
by maggiem

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.