HELP New Baby Chicks

• 4 Replies

SJC

HELP New Baby Chicks
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:22 »
Hi everybody,

Hope I could get some very urgent advise. 

I have been brought a mother hen and her 5 approximately 6 day old chicks.  I currently have them in a seperate house to my other 9 girls.

I have this morning given them chick crumb with acs, and water.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  I have only ever had hens from POL so this is all very new to me.  I shall be looking through the forum for advise.

Thanks
 :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: HELP New Baby Chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:28 »
Do they have their own run or is it just a coop they have?

Make sure your other hens can not eat any of the medicated chick crumb as you would have to bin their eggs if they do.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

isobel

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:31 »
Hi - that is exciting! If they have their mum with them I don't think you will need to do much at all except ensure access to clean food and water at all times and the usual availability of clean bedding out of direct sun and drafts for "snoozing". And make sure they can't drown in the water supply of course!  :ohmy:

I currently have the first of this years' babies that are now 2 weeks old. I have just moved them from a rabbit hutch with a very small grass run into a spare "eglu" with a bigger run and in the evenings when I am about I let them out to run about with the rest of the hens who ignore them completely! In fact the cockerels are more interested in them than the hens and keep trying to find them little bits to eat, it is very sweet. I think the hens are just jealous!

They will be happy on chick crumb for a few weeks and then you can introduce some growers pellets. Mine are already happily munching the grass as they run round with mum and I have bought them some very fine grit (I think it was cage bird grit) which I have started mixing with the crumb.

I think they will raise themselves as long as you keep an eye on obvious hazards (my dog is one!). Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:39 by ANHBUC »

SJC

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58 »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  The coop does have an attached run.

All seems to be going well,  mum is very protective and the chicks are very curious.  When I go and check on them they all run to mum but hide instead they just look back at me.  Very cute  :D

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02 »
That is the beauty of a broody, she keeps them warm, protected and teaches them how to look after themselves.  If you get a chance to post some photos we would love to see Mum and her new brood.   :D

xx
baby chicks poo

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 07:55
by karlooben
xx
Baby chicks.....help!!! What do I do??? What do I need?

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 20:53
by broodyhen
xx
New Baby Chicks

Started by sally c on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 16:59
by sally c
xx
baby chicks due - what do i need?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 16:59
by Vember

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 28 queries.