Cottage garden border – clay soil

• 3 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Cottage garden border – clay soil
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:53 »
We moved into our house last summer and have inherited a medium sized semi circular shaped border backing onto a trellis fence, which screens off the veg beds and chicken house behind it. Originally there was a huge triffid type plant growing in it, which we’ve removed and have replaced with 2 climbing roses. However the rest of the bed is looking very bare and I wanted some advice about what to do with it. Ideally I’d like to create a cottage garden look however the bed is on a slight incline and is heavy clay soil which makes it quite hard to dig, although this has been broken up to some extent by the roots of the giant triffid which flourished there.

Would I need to try and dig over the whole bed with compost/manure to make it more workable or is it sufficient just to put compost in the planting holes of new plants? I am desperate to get some colour and plants in it! The site is in full sun for most of the day. I had originally planned lavender bushes and perhaps johnson’s blue geranium but am open to any ideas.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cottage garden border – clay soil
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:51 »
Even if you can't dig it - try at least to get the fork in deeply and wiggle it about to break up the clay to help with drainage.
Do this at the bottom of the planting holes as well otherwise you put plants in pockets which will fill with water when it rains heavily  :(

Get some mulch over the surface and the worms will take it down and improve the soil for you, as well as stopping it setting like concrete in summer :ohmy:
Lavender and geraniums should do well, and Iceplant (sedum spectabile) does well here  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08 »
A heavy clay soil is a good place to start (unlike a sandy soil).  Clay soil will hold water and hence nutrients won't get washed away.  Do what mum says and over time get as much organic material into it as possible. 

Check to see if there is a "pan" a spit or so down - that's a very hard layer of earth that is difficult to get your fork into - break it up if there is.  If the area is not too huge you could also add some course grit to open up the structure.

Here's a list of plants that thrive in clay soil for you to have a look through:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=305
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:11 by Aunt Sally »

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:04 »
Thanks both. Can't wait to get started!  :D

xx
Cottage garden

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:29
by mumofstig
xx
cottage garden seeds / rocket interlopers

Started by polly nator on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 20:07
by Trillium
xx
Primeroses in the front garden border

Started by whitehill1 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 11:38
by Goosegirl
xx
lawn on clay soil

Started by stephent on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 24, 2012, 08:07
by cadalot

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 33 queries.