lawn on clay soil

• 7 Replies

stephent

lawn on clay soil
« on: December 22, 2012, 23:28 »
The garden lawn is on very dense clay soil. The water just doesnt drain away and its awful.

I am after a way to improve the drainage, but digging out the clay and replacing isnt an option. I have looked at buying some aerating shoes?

What do you guys think?

bobpaine

Re: lawn on clay soil
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:11 »
I have a pair of them and they give good exercise. They work, but the soil will compact again once the lawn is used so you will have to do this very regularly. I have the same issue as you and have been researching on line and gypsum seems to be the initial best option, as it is simply dressed across the lawn and in time the soil flocculates and improves. However trying to find a garden supply store that supplies garden gypsum, in bulk at a decent price is proving difficult.i would appreciate if anyone knows of a good garden gypsum supplier.

stephent

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 14:17 »
I have read that the gypsum thing is a myth?

bobpaine

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 15:17 »
The science is sound but it takes time. Couple of seasons

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 15:41 »
In the meantime, all you can really do is spread compost over the entire lawn every spring, up to an inch if possible. In the future, there will be enough for the grass to live on more easily. There's no cheap quick fix with clay soil.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 15:52 »
Hard work but using a fork to make deep holes in the turf and brushing sharp sand into them is also a good way to improve drainage, although again there would be no overnight fix and you would have to do it more than once.

You can buy (or possibly hire) aeration tools which take out cores of soil which would probably allow you to get the sand in more easily but I don't know how efficient they are (still hard work at a guess!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sion01

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 19:26 »
I know its a very long shot BUT.If your clay soil is over a layer of sand/gravel or other more permiable subsoil you could drive holes down through the topsoil with a crow bar and punctureing the clay allowing for better drainage.

It sounds nuts but it worked here.Its is/was heavy clay but when we were digging a soakaway for the house and the hymac went down about 2 foot it broke through the clay and in to sandy gravel.The soak away was filled with hardcore and the whole think has acted as a big drain for the whole lawn .Im not suggesting digging with hymac but if you drove a crobar down in an out of site area you could detect what the soil strata was in the area.If there is sand/gravel down there punctureing it here and there could make a big diffrence

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07 »
I use a speedy weedy to get the dandelions out and fill in the resulting hole with a mixture of compost sand and grass seed which has made my lawn less boggy as a result as it has lots of vertical sand drains in it.
Speedy_Weedy.jpg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:09 by cadalot »

xx
Green Manure and Clay Soil

Started by bobbyt on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2020, 17:30
by JimB
xx
problem patch - clay soil

Started by tesni on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 16:56
by Goosegirl
xx
Cottage garden border – clay soil

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 08:04
by Pony Girl
xx
Improving heavy clay soil for grass/wildflower mix?

Started by DanielCoffey on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2017, 19:04
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.