Pressure Cooker v Pressure Canner

• 3 Replies
Pressure Cooker v Pressure Canner
« on: August 04, 2020, 14:07 »
Hi

I posted in my first post yesterday and it was  about bottling.   

I am just about to go down to the pick up point to collect my 10 litre pressure cooker.   

Living in France I have always been in awe that the French use bonfires to process everything. I'm not that confident as I would probably BBQ them rather than preserve them!  But I want to reduce my reliance on freezers as I end up with 10 year old food languishing at the bottom! 

I'm absolutely fine processing fruit and tomatoes using a water bath or oven bath, and decided to expand into veg this year.   I have read the advice on the site which says a pressure cooker should be fine, but the American sites say NO NO NO!     

I can't afford an american style canner nor are they available here.    So I opted for the biggest pressure cooker I could find.     Am I going to poison everyone or is this American sites being risk averse?      (Sorry to US people if I offend)       

Cheers in advance  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pressure Cooker v Pressure Canner
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 19:13 »
is this American sites being risk averse?   
Yes IMO.
They even heat treat jam, when we have years and years of history of making jam without the need to heat treat it.
If you heat the jars and put on the lids while jars and the contents are still hot then an effective seal is made. I prefer to use lids with a dimple in them, which pops down as the vacuum seal is made, so you can actually see that the food is safe.
The only thing I wouldn't preserve this way is meat in any form - other than that I think it's fine.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 13:07 »
Thanks for that, I was going to leave meat preserving by bottling  until I'm more experienced, and at that point ask Santa Claus  for a big pressure canner!   :lol:     Right ho, French beans are ready to be picked and attempting to bottle, but have made a right mess with my borlottis, the packet didn't say they were the climbing variety and I had to play catch up!  Was hoping to pick and dry and store to make baked beans with passata!    :lol: :lol: :lol:   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 13:09 by Christina ABBOTT »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 16:47 »
Sounds like you have a plan, Christina  :D

What country/location are you in, it really does help use to give you more tailored advice.

xx
Pressure Canner

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 21:36
by Yorkie
xx
Where can I get a Pressure Canner?

Started by bunnykin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 19:47
by Poolfield2
xx
Electric Pressure Canner

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2023, 12:26
by snowdrops
xx
Pressure cooker

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 08:53
by Debz

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 43 queries.