broad bean Aquadulce

• 8 Replies

suzieflower

broad bean Aquadulce
« on: December 03, 2009, 14:41 »
hi everyone - just joined up. we got our allotment about 1 year ago so still learning! can anyone tell me whether it is too late to sow Aquadulce ? I'm in the south east and it is wet rather than really cold at the moment. on the packet it says sow through Oct until Jan, but my book says dont sow if the ground isnt warm enough . ANy tips much appreciated. would it be worth sowing then covering with plastic ? many thanks Suzie

noshed

Re: broad bean Aquadulce
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 16:53 »
I shifted this into the more veggie bit of the site - but please put a post in the welcome part with a few details about your plot etc.
You'll probably be OK sowing BB aquadulce now. Just do a row or so and sow some more in the spring - belt and braces.
The idea of autumn sowing is to get the plants well established before the blackfly come out but I think the amount of blackfly has a lot to do with having a cold snap in the winter. This year didn't seem so bad after the snow in the winter.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 20:50 »
Sorry Noshed, but I`m going to disagree, the ground is much too wet and cold for sowing now, the seed is likely to rot. Suzie, start them off in pots in January. :D

suzieflower

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:25 »
thanks for that.maybe I'll put some in and cross fingers then if they dont come through start in pots.  if i start them in pots in Jan do i need to do that inside then harden off? If so when should i plant them out?

savbo

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 08:35 »
can imagine it's wetter in Cwmbran than east london!

where are you Suzie?

M

noshed

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55 »
They're great big tough seeds, giving rise to pretty tough plants, so they don't need to be inside at any time really. If you want to put a few in pots just stand them outside the back door or something.
And indeed it may not be as wet as Wales here but wettish enough.

philsmith1967

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 19:38 »
Mine keep getting eaten by mice >:(

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 19:50 »
Ours seedlings kept getting eaten or pulled up by something, but we've protected what's left with empty plastic milk bottles - cutting the neck & base off, then popping them over the bean seedlings  upside down with 2 small canes - one down the main body and one running through what's left of the handle, which holds it firmly in place. Seems to be doing the trick so far...

Will replant the beans we've lost in early Spring - they should catch up anyway.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 19:57 »
... sorry, should also have said that we planted them back in late Oct, and while they did shoot up initially, they do appear to have stopped where they are over the past couple of weeks - guess it's too cold right now for growing...??

xx
Broad Bean Aquadulce

Started by Donut on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 22:38
by Bombers
xx
Aquadulce broad bean

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 15:30
by NN2Blue
xx
Broad Bean Aquadulce

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 17:27
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Aquadulce broad bean

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 12:42
by mixdiver

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.