A cautionary tale - with a happy ending!

• 7 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« on: August 29, 2007, 20:01 »
I posted my first message on this site in October 2006, when a friend invited me to share an allotment. Well, I tackled this wild and weedy plot with great enthusiam. I've double dug and am almost half way up the plot - BUT - a warning to other would be sharers - do avoid teaming up with someone who can't dig/won't dig and won't turn up if its too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, too windy or if they're too busy - and prefers dowsing with weedkiller to covering the lot with plastic until we could get it dug.  After having words, I was advised to stay down the end I'd dug, and get a good book about gardening!  

Not that I'm bitter, far from it. The asparagus is doing wonderfully - all 10 plants took - and we've had some lovely peas, mange tout, pink fir apple potatoes, broad beans and kidney beans. I'm growing parsnip, beetroot, turnip and some lovely leeks. The raspberry canes have taken and we're looking forward to a little treat from that.  I'm looking forward to Christmas and Spring cauliflowers and some nice purple sprouting over the winter. Whilst up at the wild and weedy top end ..... well let's not go there.

But there's a happy ending. I've discovered a real passion for gardening, my OH has the bug too, and as from yesterday, we have our own wild and weedy plot - so we're going to cover half with plastic, and be busy digging in spite of it being too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, too windy !!!

So a little advice please - about the best time to transplant the asparagus  and raspberry canes(planted this spring).  And if WhiskeyGolf is reading this - hello there - please can we have details of the holiday cottages.

Happy digging, Jean
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 21:05 »
Hi jeanieblue glad to hear you have got there, the top wild and weedy end must be a real inspiration to you  :)

I personally would move the raspberries early autumn, add plenty of manure to the ground. Not sure about the asparagus I've never grown it, I would guess when it has gone dormant for the winter so late autumn while the soil is still reasonable. IMHO
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 21:13 »
Thanks, Richyrich, for encouragement and for advice re raspberries. We'll make sure we get that patch dug. Have just had a brainwave - will contact the company we bought the asparagus from, they should know best time for moving!  Will have even bigger bed in this new allotment because my pal brought on ten more plants from seed in her greenhouse !!  Takes about three years to crop though, so a long term investment - nice to have something to look forward to!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 21:19 »
Good idea if they don't know then...I've often thought of growing them but last time we tried them they wasn't brill, supermarket stuff  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 21:37 »

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:17 »
this sounds very very much like my allotment partner hes a groundsman
so has all the gear ie rotorvator spraypack and free compost and manure so i bite the bullet, but its usually a meeting at the working mens club that stops him coming over lol.
alan

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:38 »
Hi Jeanieblue,

Is there any way at all you could just have all of the plot you've cultivated half of and your friens has the new one? It just seems so unfair all the hard work you've done so far needs redoing again!

I've got a half plot, and I've always expressed interest in the other half which is very wild and weedy at the moment. I spoke to one of the site managers recently and she wasn't sure if it's been let or not, but said if end of September (rent time) arrives and it has not been worked, I could have it, and if it has been let, then the person it's been let to could be given another plot elsewhere on the site, due to the fact nothing has been done. Hence I'm keeping everything crossed no one starts working on it till then!

I wondered if you could have the same at your site? Hopefully your pal agrees and the managers too? Just a thought............
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 00:20 »
Hi Jeanieblue
I was in the same boat as you with a shared allotment last year.  One of the things I learned was that when you start up you need either a lot of time or a lot of money.  Unfortunately my sharer didn't have either so I've now taken over her half.  She still comes along and helps from time to time, but it's a lot simpler having your own space.  Gardening is very personal too, as you found out with the weedkiller / organic issues.  I hope in time your friend also finds her own way and enjoys it too.

xx
B&Q dead plants - happy ending

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 00:25
by SnooziSuzi
xx
It's never ending.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 08:04
by willowman
xx
A tale of two spades

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 16:40
by woodburner
xx
A tale of two allotments

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 21:00
by Laurentius

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 39 queries.