Bio Lime

• 3 Replies

Prod

Bio Lime
« on: April 30, 2014, 15:53 »
Has anyone used bio lime?  I wanted to clean and disinfect a pen (after my histomonas infection) and was going to buy some Builder's Lime from the local builders merchant, they had none in so when the guy asked what I wanted it for he suggested I use bio lime instead (it helps he keeps chickens) and fortunately there is a Lime & Fertilizer company on the industrial estate in town who sell to the public so I got a 25k bag for £4.50. Unlike builders lime it is a natural disinfectant that you can use wherever you have livestock and without moving them. With chickens it says  that it " Improves biosecurity Protects against Avian influenza, Newcastle disease, Mareks disease and bacterial infections caused by Salmonella, Coccidiosis, E-Coli and Barchyspira. It also claims to reduce fly activity and generally improves hygiene.

I am fortunate that I have a small field where I keep my chickens and I collect the droppings daily for my compost but I know a lot of people on here have smaller areas and worry about infections/smells etc. so that's why I made the post.  I put some in a  turkey baster and spray it directly into the coop so it gets in all the corners and joints.  Sorry if I am teaching grannie.........

BabbyAnn

Re: Bio Lime
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 15:59 »
I just googled it (Biolime) and when I read it, it sounds just like the lime wash they used to paint in barns, stables, dairies and such like (probably from pre-Victorian times?) because it was a good biocide.  I haven't used it myself but probably would if I needed too.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 16:01 »
Yes  the leaflet does contain information on other farm animals such as dairy/meat cattle and sheep.  It reads like 'Grandpa's Elixer'  :D

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 17:17 »
Sounds ideal for the times I dig over my chickens run  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
lime ??

Started by MRS PEPPER POT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Lime...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 15:33
by WG.
xx
Lime

Started by kimT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 19:36
by kimT
xx
Using Lime on a run floor

Started by PJM on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 17:16
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 35 queries.