poorly chicken/s

• 10 Replies

redspookycooky

poorly chicken/s
« on: November 06, 2009, 17:54 »
hi after some help with my poorly chicken/s :( have looked on various websites to no avail, have a mix of bantams and ex battery young and old. lost a bantam on wed now my 4 month old bantam is looking the same.
just general looking unwell and huddled up, eating fine and drinking, but comb looks a pale/purpley colour,  looks like can`t be bothered to move, my first chicken had the symptons and died the next day.
any help/advice greatly appreciated.
p.s lost 3 this time last year as well if any help, same sort of thing.

too many girls

Re: poorly chicken/s
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 17:57 »
could you give us some more info?
what do you feed them, are they laying, do they free range, what are the poops like?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 17:59 »
a purply comb could be a heart problem. What feed are they on? Have you got them booked into athe vets? What did the ones die off last year? Did you take them to the vets?
Sorry so many questions but we really need more information.vet
Staffies are softer than you think.

redspookycooky

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 18:09 »
didn`t find out what last years died of cos after first 3 died whatever it was stopped and the rest were fine. They are all feed layers pellets and greens from the allotment and am getting some poultry spice for them tomorrow. have all stopped laying at the moment but just gone through the moult so thought it was that. poops have always been watery so no change there. they are not free range they live in a coop at the allotment.
Not booked in vets yet as not sure if pdsa would take poultry, so trying to find another option for now.thanks in advance for any help you can give me, new to this so any more info needed let me know.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 18:13 »
is there any sneezing, snotty noses or bubbly/frothy eyes?

redspookycooky

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 18:21 »
no sneezing or snotty nose or eyes, checked and no injuries or marks etc. no visible signs of illness/injuries except being lethargic and huddled up.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 20:10 »
Sounds like an infection of sorts, at 16weeks old it could be cocciodosis - a clue would be be runny loose droppings yellowish in colour and possibly bloodstained. Treatment would be Coxoid available from feed stores or the internet.
From the symptoms it could also be an intestinal problem through bacteria or a fungal infection through mouldy feed or scratching around in damp/dark conditions.
Make sure that particulary at their age and this time of year that the henhouse is dry, use an agent like Stalosan F under the bedding, it is a disinfectant powder effective against a wide variety of bugs. Turn over bedding to air and check for damp spots. Also check your feed is in date and stored in a dry place. I empty mine straight away into large plastic bins.
Move drinkers and feeders regulary to avoid "sour spots". Regulary change run floor to keep the run sweet unless free-ranging. :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 20:23 »
In my experience would have to agree with Foxy! coccidiosis makes them lethargic and 'hunched up' give them a course of coxoid ASAP,

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 20:39 »
we've had cocci twice in the last 18 months, the first time i noticed blood in the poo of 6, 5 week old chicks, i was (at that time) under the impression that because i fed the medicated chick crumb they wouldn't get it, they had it :( by the time i got them to a vet Pootle was dead and Popcorn on his way out, sometimes the first sign of cocci is a dead chick or youngster which happened to us a short while ago, out of 12, 11 week old chicks one was found dead in the house early morning and 3 more seriously ill, i got the antibiotics from the vet as soon as i could, one died (Hope) but the other 2 went on to make a full recovery, i'm paranoid about cocci and inspect all hen houses every morning for pooh that doesn't look right, i have bought coxoid in bulk ::) and at the first sign..................................

redspookycooky

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 20:57 »
thanks for the advice, am looking for a local stockist of coxoid but no luck so far (i live in redcar,cleveland if anyone knows one) and think by the time i order online she will have died :( but will be ordering it in for any future problems and hopefully stop the others getting it.
So is hygiene the problem them?, got a bit lax on cleaning them with having a poorly son and the rain hasn`t helped leaving left me with a muddy soggy coop, will better hygiene prevent this from happening again? or is it just one of those things that rears its ugly head! thanks.

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 21:06 »
Good husbandry is a must with chooks. It could be cocci or it could be an infection due to the conditions.A damp, moist enviroment will allow a multitude of infections to thrive, and the unseasonal warmth hasn't helped either! Red mite is still around, not normally a major problem this time of year, unfortunately the weather has extended the redmite season. A young chook under the weather will certainly succumb to a red mite infestation. :(

I know with other pressures it can be difficult, thats why a product like Stalosan F can be a lifesaver! ;)

xx
Help poorly chicken

Started by cleehillian on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 09:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by miss_t on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 22:34
by pigeonpie
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 17:13
by RosiesChooks
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by tiptopchickendon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 10:11
by tiptopchickendon

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.