Tree leaching nutrients from front garden

• 4 Replies

Scotch Thistle

Tree leaching nutrients from front garden
« on: September 11, 2011, 18:49 »
We have a silver birch in the corner of the front garden, and I am sure it is leaching significant amounts of water and nutrients from a about a 3m radius. I never really bothered before, it was mostly grass that was affected, and I plant alpines around the tree because they can stand poor conditions quite well. Now however the tree seems to be getting to the hedge down the side of the house, and a hydrangea we have. They are all a pretty poor shade of lime green, leaning towards yellow tbh.
I need advise on what I can use to put nutrients back into the soil. Now maybe isn't the best time of year for feeding plants but they look pretty sorry for themselves. I am thinking maybe some bfb?

stentman

• Experienced Member
Re: Tree leaching nutrients from front garden
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 21:26 »
I have 3 silver birch very close to my plot, one my water butt rests on, it seems for every pint of water I apply half goes up the trees same with any feed I add. Also birch being shallow rooted doesn't help they don't look far for water. I just water more than most of my plot neighbours and with autumn approaching the trees are going to give themselves 6 months off any time soon anyway. It's just another factor to contend with in the learning curve of growing stuff. The only real solution to the tree nicking nutrients is to remove the tree, a bit to drastic for some, on the plus side in the next few weeks you are going to get a ready supply of leaves to mulch or compost
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 21:36 »
The tree will take water and nutrients from an area at least as wide as the leaf canopy.
It's getting toward leaf shedding time anyway for the hydrangea, so I wouldn't add any fertiliser now as the plants go to sleep for the winter. Feed in the spring with BF&B or any slow release fertiliser and water well

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 23:23 »
I thought i read somewhere that Hydranga is from the Greek language literally meaning a gallon a day. Make sure you water and feed it well.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 16:24 »
MoS, I've found recent research that most trees actually forage water and food from closer to twice the height of the tree. At one time it was believed that they foraged the width of their canopy, but that's been found inaccurate.

I have 100 year old maples along my west property line and the tree canopies end at the west edge of my house. However, during various digs at the east side of the house, we've found huge tree roots circling the house! They've actually wound around sidewalk and garage footings heading toward my east neighbour's house.

Trees and veg gardens really don't mix unless the veg are in raised beds where tree roots can't get access.

xx
Front Garden re-design

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 10:55
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Primeroses in the front garden border

Started by whitehill1 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 11:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Update on my "front" garden

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:37
by Yabba
xx
Front border flowers question

Started by Plot74 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 09:21
by jamima

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.