What's wrong with my hen?

• 0 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
What's wrong with my hen?
« on: October 09, 2007, 18:45 »
One of my hens, 4 year old partridge silkie bantam, is poorly. She has had diarhoea for a long time, nasty smelling and squirts out...she always waits till she leaves the henhouse before she "explodes"!

She has seemed ok despite the ongoing diarhoea but, for the second time she doesn't seem able to support herself on her legs and is unable to roost on the perch so has slept in the nestbox for a few days.  She wobbles as she walks and today hasn't really wanted to leave the nest box . The diarhoea cleared whilst I was dosing the flock with antibiotics as a couple of chicks had stcky eyes. After stopping the medication the diarhoea returned ad seems particularly unpleasant at the moment. She has bright eyes, will eat and drink and, if I lift her out, she will totter about. She is keeping clean, even her vent area and, I think she laid yesterday.

I am seperating her in the morning so that I don't have to discard all the eggs and also because the cockerel still wants favours from her and she can't really get away from him! I don't want to seperate her for long as she'll lose her place in the flock and be bullied when she moves back in. Whatever she has hasn't affected any of the others.

Looking at her, she looks as though her legs can't support her, how can I tell if she's over-weight? They are coddled hens although treats are only fruit and, occassionaly, cheese. Diet of layers pellets available all the time and corn at teatime. Cider vinigar in drinking water and I clean them at least twice a week. There are 11 between 2 henhouses and they are running within a double sized electric poultry fence which is moved regularly. No evidence of parasites, I use diatomous earth in the henhouse which keeps it clear of red mite and lice and the bedding is wood shavings.

Can't think of anything else that might help!

xx
Help! What have I done wrong????

Started by SuzyandtheBs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
What am I doing wrong?

Started by scabs on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 14:21
by scabs
xx
What did I do wrong?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 16:22
by AL Hathaway
xx
Its all going wrong

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 04:59
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 39 queries.