What are we doing wrong

• 26 Replies

matilda duck

What are we doing wrong
« on: May 22, 2009, 16:51 »
A few weeks ago we treated  the chicken for mites.  We had been using a barrier powder before we were pointed in the right direction by Foxy and Aunt Sally  DOH :ohmy:....

The diaitom was ordered and as soon as it came we used it.  We have been using it for 3 weeks now and they still have mites.  Now I'm assuming WE are doing it wrong as I know this stuff works wonders!!!! :(
All the chickens are covered, the house is covered in it, and usually by the end Ste and I are covered :blink:.
Hows the best way to do this???

We hold the chickens and put the powder in our hands and then cover the chickens, making sure we go underneath them, around the vent area, and under their wings.

Go on humour me tell me we are doing wrong ;)   HELP!!!!!!

too many girls

Re: What are we doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 17:08 »
are they red mite? if so you need to do the house as well, they hide during the day and suck the blood at night, if it's another type of mite i really don't know!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 17:09 »
I thought the Diatom went in the food

Vember

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 17:10 »
If it's lice then I use either frontline (not registered for poultry use) or Johnsons anti mite spray.
The johnsons stuff works a treat but will need repeat spray a week later to catch newly hatched critters, but they die straight away :D

Sarah :)

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 17:14 »
i have yet to go down the mite avenue, no doubt it won't be long, i use lice powder on mine and put it on the birds and in the nest boxes, so far we are creepy crawlie free, itching just thinking about it..........

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 17:16 »
that lice powder that smells lovely as it's made of lavender and tea tree oil ?  Gorgeous. I use it on meself  :D

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 17:18 »
now i'm really itchy................

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 17:23 »
I've never tried diatom Matilda, but will do one day!

When we had red mite in the layer's house, I picked nice dry days so the girls could stay outside.  cleaned all their shavings out and sprayed and scrubbed with jeyes.   Left it for a couple of hours to dry out a bit then sprayed with poultryshield. 

I dusted the girls and new shavings with Barrier red mite powder.

It took a couple of weeks and several goes, but got them in the end.   And yes they do hide in the tiniest of cracks until night time!!  Next time we get them, I'm going to zap them with the little steam cleaner I bought!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 17:59 »

I dust diatom in all the nooks and crannies and mix some in with the bedding every time I clean out the shed. According to the tub :- for ingestion seek medical advice (I know this is regarding humans but not sure the effect of mixing it with the chickens feed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 19:23 »

I dust diatom in all the nooks and crannies and mix some in with the bedding every time I clean out the shed. According to the tub :- for ingestion seek medical advice (I know this is regarding humans but not sure the effect of mixing it with the chickens feed.

i thought that but didn't want to say anything because i don't really know.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 19:41 »
had to look at my tub just to be sure.

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 21:26 »
Sorry all should have put lice not mites (well I hope theres none of them).  Some of my girlies are looking a bit worse for wear and although they are not too bothered about it I AM >:( >:(   Oh blinking lice >:(

Vember

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 21:29 »
Get some johnsons Anti mite spray MD, you can get it from most pet shops it's for budgies an the like :)
Squirt the little critters it will kill them straight away then do it again a week later :D

matilda duck

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 21:36 »
Thats tomorrows job then!!!  Should I do the ducks as well???????  Don't think for one second they have them and holding /catching ducks is harder than chickens :lol: :lol:

Why has the diatom not worked I thought is was the best stuff out there :blink:

Vember

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 22:18 »
I've never used it on my ducks as concerned about preening and them going in the water, it's also harder to find their skin under all that down :lol:

I've never used diatom so I don't know ??? I just know that lice will be killed on contact with the stuff but a repeat is real important as it doen't kill the eggs so more will hatch  :ohmy: Get that second lot and all should be ok :)

Worked for me :D

xx
What's wrong?

Started by yellowmatress on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 20:38
by yellowmatress
xx
What could be wrong with my hen?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter
xx
Is there something wrong?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 19:54
by ANHBUC
xx
is something wrong?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 08:22
by k4t1e195

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.