Missing toe / toe nail

• 6 Replies

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Missing toe / toe nail
« on: January 09, 2009, 16:11 »
One of my Sussex started limping earlier (she is now walking ok) BUT upon closer inspection it appears that she has managed to lose her nail / half of a toe - can't find where. There was blood in the coop but I think this is just when she went to lay.

What should I be doing - have never had an injury before!

agapanthus

Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 17:52 »
It needs to be cleaned for a start and then have a good look at the wound....it might not be as bad as you first thought. We use germolene on our chooks if they have a cut etc. Put a dressing on it and tape it up. Have a good look around the henhouse to see what may have caused this...you may find the nail. :?

Foxy

Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 18:28 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
It needs to be cleaned for a start and then have a good look at the wound....it might not be as bad as you first thought. We use germolene on our chooks if they have a cut etc. Put a dressing on it and tape it up. Have a good look around the henhouse to see what may have caused this...you may find the nail. :?

yuck!!!!think I rather not find it! :roll:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 19:47 »
They live in an Eglu Cube - can't see anything in there - we think she did it freeranging in the garden, so don't hold out much hope of finding it (and what would I do with it if I did!)

Will she mind a bit of gauze and micropore tape on it?

Bodger

Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27 »
I wouldn't put any bandaging on the bird, its more likely to trap dirt rather than keep it clean. I'd give it a quick wash in warm water and then fall back on Mr Reliable and give it a squirt from that most valuable of commodities, the purple antiseptic spray. :thumright:

The bird shouldn't experience any further problems, I have several birds with the odd missing toe. Its not a part of the chickens anatomy that gets much of a blood supply.

agapanthus

Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 21:27 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
They live in an Eglu Cube - can't see anything in there - we think she did it freeranging in the garden, so don't hold out much hope of finding it (and what would I do with it if I did!)

Will she mind a bit of gauze and micropore tape on it?

I meant that you would probably then find what caused the injury!! Was'nt inferring that you should attach it again!! Haha!!

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Missing toe / toe nail
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 17:12 »
Left the dressing on yesterday and removed it today - looking very clean and dry. She seems to not notice it now but will keep and eye on it.

Thanks for  your help everyone!

exclamation
Nail-less hen

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:01
by Pretty Chick
question
hen nail clipping ?

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 13:51
by Dawnuss
xx
chook with damaged nail

Started by wendy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 22:59
by Fat Hen
wireless
Broken toe nail on chicken

Started by SamT on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 19:13
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 33 queries.