what am I doing wrong????

• 34 Replies

matilda duck

« on: October 14, 2008, 13:18 »
We have had our 4 chickens nearly 3 weeks now so they are about 27 weeks.  No eggs not nothing!!!  :(  One of the chickens has runny poos but the others are fine. They are eating well both with their pellets in a morning and corn in the afternoon.  They get on with the ducks (in a fashion)  but no eggies.  I have checked them for mites but can't see any. what am I doing wrong??? :?: The ducks seem to be ready as Jeremy keeps having his way but those too don't want to give me eggs :!:  Am I asking too much?????

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 13:43 »
Photos may help as we will be able to see the comb.  It is not usual but is rare'ish not to have eggs at 27 weeks.  Are you sure they are 27 weeks old.(Photos would help)  Corn in the afternoon? How much are you giving them? A fat chicken dose not lay!!! So I have been told. Do they have pellets all day long? What type are they?  Growers (grower pellets)  are for growing or fattening up and not for laying.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 14:01 »
Ha ha photos did you see my last attempt?  I will try as this will give you a good idea :oops:

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 14:08 »
Could also depend on the type of chicken.

Some hens are very slow at maturing and some don't lay that many to begin with :)

Have you had a look in the poo section to see if the poo you described is there? This will also give us a better idea :D

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17568

You may have already told us so please excuse me asking but what type of ducks are they??
My memory isn't very good  :oops:

Sarah:)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 14:18 »
I'd leave the corn off for a month, layers only diet till eggs appear.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 14:19 »
Ha Ha the ducks.. well they were brought as khakis but they are Rouens.. They are huge things. Not through eating I don't think, they are  just big ducks. They are doing all the head nodding and like I saw jeremy keeps getting his way but...... Live and learn. :oops:

matilda duck

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 14:22 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
are you going to tell them?????  They only have 1/2 scoop but I will do that.  I want these eggies :x

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 14:29 »
Quote from: "Roughlee Handled"
Photos may help as we will be able to see the comb.  It is not usual but is rare'ish not to have eggs at 27 weeks.  Are you sure they are 27 weeks old.(Photos would help)  Corn in the afternoon? How much are you giving them? A fat chicken dose not lay!!! So I have been told. Do they have pellets all day long? What type are they?  Growers (grower pellets)  are for growing or fattening up and not for laying.
  They have layers pellets and are fed in the morning.  They are let out at 7-30ish and fed at 8ish.  They are given 1 scoop between the ducks and chickens , then the ducks go out to forrage. :oops:

Vember

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 14:31 »
Here's Matilda Ducks Photo's

Doris is the magpie  Charlie croaker is the sussex
The coup is the shed and they are in there on a night time. They have nesting boxes and perches.  All on the fllor in the shed is sawdust  and on the coup is wood bark.  They have clean water ever day, although looking at the coour of that after the ducks had been in it you wouldn't think so.

Lovely looking girls you have MD

Sarah :)

matilda duck

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 14:35 »
Thankyou I am very proud of them and the kids adore them.  I would just like to know i'm not really doing anything wrong for a change... OOhh this chicken lark  It's good fun... :lol:  :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 14:41 »
By the look of there combs they are nearly there if not a couple of weeks off. Not long now.  

How do I know? Cuz I have been through the same this year.   I am still on pullet eggs. Though one girl does give out doubles on a regular basis and they are big. Ouch.  
 Nice photos and nice chucks.

Stuart

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 14:45 »
:D Thankyou you are all so kind...The girls were my bday pressie so it's nice to know hubbie got it right!!  I'm going to be thick again :oops:  what are pullets?????? sorry :oops: Weeeeeheee nearly there :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 14:52 »
Well my mother-in-law told me.  Pullets are when the have just come it to lay or before there first molt.  (TELL ME I AM WRONG OR RIGHT OH ALL KNOWING ONES YOU KNOW DONT BE SHY, unless your TMG)  
My MIL Mother In Law says she used to get pullet eggs cheep as a child/teenager as they where smaller.  When the chicken gets older the eggs sometimes get bigger.    By the way my girls have layer pellets available to them all day long.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 15:06 »
Quote from: "matilda duck"
Quote from: "richyrich7"
are you going to tell them?????  They only have 1/2 scoop but I will do that.  I want these eggies :x

:lol:  yes, tell them if there's no egg it's sunday dinner ! my 8 yr old daughter does  :roll:

Bodger

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 15:11 »
What you are doing is worrying a bit too much. Autumn is upon us and they'll lay when they are ready. :D

xx
Is there something wrong?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 19:54
by ANHBUC
question
What are we doing wrong

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 08:16
by jo40
xx
is something wrong?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 08:22
by k4t1e195
xx
What have i done wrong????

Started by Nails on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 12:55
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.