weed killer

• 5 Replies

vixen

weed killer
« on: February 24, 2011, 19:39 »
Is it ok to use, if so which one would you recommend, is it frowned upon? We have cleared half of the allotment but wondered if this would be a quicker solution, one of our neighbours has covered his plot with weedol and then  plans to blowtorch them is this a good plan or is he lazy?

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Re: weed killer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 19:43 »
It depends really!  I try to be organic.  I dig and I pull.  Its hard, honest work!  Why cheat - those chemicals go somewhere - do you want them in your tummies?  If you want to do something - why not cover the rest in weed suppressent stuff and grow pumpkins/courgettes etc through it so that the weeds die back a bit - do that for a year or two and grow the rest of the stuff in the bit you've cleared then try again in the late autumn this year or next on the other half of the plot.  Why do it all this year?  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 19:52 »
He's only going to get rid of the top growth, he's not got to the root of the problem! If you're going to use weedkiller, you'll need something like Roundup or Resolva 24 which contain Glyphosate.

It's really the wrong time of year to be using it though, it should be done whilst the weeds are actively growing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vixen

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 20:00 »
Thank you for your help we have decided to carry on digging. The plot is only 8m x 8m so sholdnt take too long. Thought would plant red shallots on the cleared area, read the sets should be tiny but the ones I bought from Wilkinsons are quite large, do you think this means they will bolt?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 20:08 »
Shallots are large by comparison to Onion sets and even they arn't what I would describe as tiny.

Shallots sets likely to be around 15 > 20 mm across.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

vixen

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 20:21 »
Well thats a relief the book said 1cm circumference which thinking about doesnt seem likely.

xx
weed killer

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 17:49
by Jonajo
xx
weed killer

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:10
by Lardman
xx
Weed killer

Started by France16 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 19:34
by Yorkie
xx
What weed killer ?

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 21:34
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 38 queries.