Help wandering cat

• 7 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Help wandering cat
« on: September 28, 2009, 21:58 »
Hi everyone
I moved about a mile down the road a year ago, and my 6 yrs old neutered male keeps going back to my old house, he has now been missing for about 2 weeks again, can anyone help with ideas to stop him????
I don't know if he is being fed, as when i bring him home he is always starving.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Help wandering cat
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 22:24 »
Im not a cat owner, so anyone else please feel free to contradict me, but a friend of mine kept hers indoors for a couple of weeks until he was used the the house. That seems to have worked for her
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

tode

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 22:45 »
Yes, that's about all you can do. Even 3 or 4 weeks, if that's possible  ::)

madcat

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:40 »
That what I did with my three...  kept them in with lots of cuddles and establishing 'their' places - it takes time in a new house to decide where are the preferred sleeping/watching/sitting places.  By the end of two weeks we were all grateful when they could go (in both senses of the word ::)) outside, but they had established their own spaces to come back to which 'belonged' to them.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

titch

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 21:47 »
i agree with the above, keep him in for a while and then let him out when you can watch him, just before you feed him - that way even if he disappears if he is anything like my 5 the minute he hears the tin open or biscuits rattle will be in like a shot

good luck, its worrying when they do this isnt it
just keep breathing................

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:01 »
Try a "feliway diffuser" vets stock it. It uses cat phereomones to create a happy, safe feeling for cats. It is often used in the catteries in the back of vets to help cats feel safer. I use it with new ones and I am sure it helps them settle in. :)

RIKJD89

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 16:56 »
Cats are very territorial and tend to follow the same route each day marking said territory so id keep him in until he feels safe and that the new house belongs to him, in a sense.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 17:32 »
My friend always used to put butter on her cats' paws after she moved and never lost one.
Though she would keep the cats in for a couple of weeks as well :)

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.