lull in my allotment activities - normal?

• 7 Replies

al78

lull in my allotment activities - normal?
« on: May 12, 2013, 19:34 »
I've currently got things coming up now at the allotment, all at the seedling stage and growing very very slowly (apart from the Pak Choi), and I have things at home in modules waiting to get to a suitable size before planting out. Thing is, when I am up at the allotment I can't seem to find very much to do at the moment, apart from the odd bit of hoeing, and replenishing the beer traps. It seems as if I am in a bit of an in-between state here, just keeping an eye on things and playing a waiting game. Is this normal at this time of year or is there something important I should be doing that I have missed?

I have dug well rotted manure in the uncultivated beds, all primary beds are dug and are on standby, the only landscaping left to do is dig an isolated 2x2.5m area when I have decided what to do with it (suggestions welcome).

It should be noted that I am in my first year so have started from scratch last November, thus no crops from the previous year.

Beetroot queen

Re: lull in my allotment activities - normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 19:37 »
Weeding seems to be the job of the day for us at the moment. Lol the weeds never rest. We have done a compost bin move today plus dig in some new water tubs etc. Apart from that I weeded the other day, admired all my seedlings coming up and picked rhubarb and asparagus, we do have quiet times but they don't last long before the weeds catch up.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 19:46 »
Keeping on top of the weeds at this time of year will pay off later on so is a normal allotment activity especially after the drenching we had yesterday.  This year I seem to be experiencing a bit of a lull but that's because of the weather - when we had the "heat wave"  ::) I had other things to do, and now that it has gone cold, seems little point sowing stuff until it warms up again.

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 22:06 »
Keeping on top of the weeds at this time of year will pay off later on so is a normal allotment activity especially after the drenching we had yesterday.  This year I seem to be experiencing a bit of a lull but that's because of the weather - when we had the "heat wave"  ::) I had other things to do, and now that it has gone cold, seems little point sowing stuff until it warms up again.

Keeping on top of the weeds is easy at the moment, because the weeds are also growing very very slowly, so it is a case of five minutes with the hoe sorts them out.

Dunno, but I do get a feeling something isn't quite right somewhere.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 22:11 »
Never fear, when it warms up, the weeds, and the crops will start growing and you will have plenty to do.  Every year at this time I convince myself that I WILL keep on top of things, but it all goes to pieces around about July :) :blink: :unsure:
Anne

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 22:22 »
I've got 5 tonnes of woodchips arriving on Thursday are you free :lol: :D
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 22:28 »
It is the same for us, but I think it is just a case of everything being late due to the awful weather, I am just pottering around and doing weeding and last week repaired the old shed, stripped the roof off and put a new one on and straightened it back up as it was starting to show a bit of lean to one side, the water barrel had been leaning on it for 3 years, so I switched this to the other side and put a brace on the inside.

Trying to prepare the paths as we look to slightly alter the layout and put shillies down after the summer.
Carlisle

al78

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 23:55 »
I've got 5 tonnes of woodchips arriving on Thursday are you free :lol: :D

Lol, I'm a bit far away from you but I enjoy doing heavy physical work like that (despite the fact I have a very slender build).  :D

xx
Onions - is this normal?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:08
by JohnB47
clip
sweetcorn - is this normal?!

Started by Novice1984 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2019, 14:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Is this a record or just normal?

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:58
by Stripey_cat
xx
Is it normal to be nervous?!! LOL

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:07
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 37 queries.