Wistaria pruner...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Wistaria pruner...
« on: January 09, 2017, 06:07 »
We inherited a wistaria when we moved here in 1989, and it was well over 100 years old back then, and used to grow against the original house, which was bombed in WW2.

Over the years, we have 'tamed' it, as earlier, it would cover two complete sides of the house, and reach the roof (and inside too), so it's a vigorous and much loved chap.

But as Mrs Growster doesn't like me going up ladders any more, (having nearly broken everything when it slipped back several years ago), I tend to prune it from the ground, and chums may remember the lopper I fashioned from some old secateurs and a broomstick.

Moving on, I'm negotiating with Mrs Growster to consider a mechanised long cutter, as there are several boughs where I just cannot get any sort of result with a lopper, and I really need to consider a saw or similar! The budget won't be bottomless (or topless for that matter), and as it won't be used more than a few times a year, it would be folly to buy something way over the top, but my question is, what would do the best job for a) trimming the wiry tendrils back, and b) actually taking out the odd bough up to two inches thick.

Wistaria is incredibly elastic and vigorous, and has to be cut properly, not hoiked, so a sharp instrument is a must!

Any ideas please?

P1110189 (1280 x 960).jpg

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Wistaria pruner...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 17:40 »
That's a glorious wisteria, Growster. Much envy here!

From an economical (and safety) viewpoint, perhaps would it be best to consider the services of a professional? Save on the expenditure, storage, maintenance, risk to body etc
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 05:00 »
Thanks Aussie!

Mrs Growster seems quite happy as long as I don't get high up a ladder, and as we have several other high-flying shrubs elsewhere, there's a lot more to be done!

What I need to work out is do I want a high saw, or a high trimmer? Or possibly both, interchangeable on one powered stalk!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36 »
If you have a lot of high up pruning to do, have you considered a couple of A-frames and some scaffolding boards?

I too have dodgy balance when on a stepladder and have sometimes thought about a platform for those occasional decorating or pruning jobs where stability is important.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03 »
If you have a lot of high up pruning to do, have you considered a couple of A-frames and some scaffolding boards?

I too have dodgy balance when on a stepladder and have sometimes thought about a platform for those occasional decorating or pruning jobs where stability is important.

Thank you, Daniel. We have considered similar frames, but the paths (old brick), are so uneven and slippery, that it's not the easiest way! I had a guy round to think about that, and he was of the opinion that they'd never get level, which was disappointing, but saved me the hassle!

At least on Terra Firma, I can just fall a short way...

xx
Anyone used/have a pole pruner?

Started by Casey76 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 17:13
by 8doubles
xx
Long pole pruner...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 17:47
by Growster...
xx
Ryobi Expand-It pole pruner

Started by pairofacres on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 06:49
by Rangerkris
xx
Ryobi Expand-It Apr 04 Pruner Attachment

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 04:27
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 38 queries.