Potato varieties

• 9 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Potato varieties
« on: November 08, 2020, 15:29 »
1) what did you grow this year and how did they perform?
2) Will you grow the same next year, or try something new?

I grew Lady Christl, Pentland Javelin, Spunta and Inca Belles and a few Desiree. None of them did very well in the drought, tbh, PJs and Desiree were the best of a bad job, but yields weren't good.

I've just ordered my seed potatoes for next year - Pentland Javelin, again, Nadine which I grew a few years ago and liked, and Sarpo Mira which I've not grown before.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Potato varieties
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 16:20 »
I grew Marris Peer, Charlotte and Nicola, all as second crop and am very impressed with all.  Got them from murie_r@seedpotatoesdirect.co.uk.  Certainly thinking of buying from them for next year.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 17:08 »
we grew Kestrel this season and they turned out a  very good crop of large potatoes had a few with blight but nothing to worry about and i grew them on the advise of some of our members we have also grew Cara and Desiree in the past but Kestrel definitely has been the best potato we have ever grew

so next year well. as i said we always grew  Desiree except for this season so will we still keep with Kestrel not sure thinking about half and half Desiree and Kestrel for our late potatoes and for our earlies and salads charlotte pink fir apple maybe Duke of York or Aron pilot but i was impressed with Red Duke of York and Jazzy i only grew a few but they also turned out very good

like you Mum i like to order my seed potatoes early but the supplier i usually buy from is a bit late sending out there catalogue this year the wife always grows some potatoes in tubs she grew Lady Christel they also turned out fine

i have to add i always use a good potato fertilizer when planting our  seed potatoes

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 17:40 »
This year I grew a handful of Lady Christl and Sharpe's Express.
Then a row each of Jazzy, Kestrel, Ambo and Sarpo Blue Danube..

They all did fairly well.  I had grown them all before apart from Sarpo Blue Danube.  That did very well and is an excellent potato for roasting.

This year our usual potato day has been cancelled due to you know what, so I gave ordered by post from DT Brown, they had a special offer.  It means I can't have say just 3 tubers for a bag or tub, which means I am growing fewer varieties.

I have chosen Maris Bard (new to me), Kestrel, Sarpo Blue Danube and Ratte.
I could never get Ratte at potato day and always wanted to try it.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 18:00 »
I didn't grow any this year and I'm just having a look at which varieties I'll be growing this year. On a side note, did you know that if you carefully remove some of the eyes when chitting you get much bigger but fewer potatoes.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 18:11 »
Earlies in pots were rocket and swift which were both a success. I only grew Charlotte 2nd early in the ground and was very pleased with them. Good crop and very tasty. I did dig them quite early as I usually have a problem with slugs. I’ll grow them again and give Desiree a go as a main crop as they are fairly resistant to slugs and are tasty.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 20:55 »
It's been a great year for potatoes here. I grew:

Sharpe’s Express-got caught by a late frost and can't remember anything about yield or taste!
Charlotte-as always great.
Ambo-fantastic yield and some huge tubers. Makes the most amazing baked potatoes and I wouldn't be without it!
Sarpo Kifli-a last minute addition. Hadn't appreciated that they are waxy. Excellent yield. One row of tubers were all smallish and the other row had some medium sized ones. Some of the tubers had scab.

Next year my thoughts are...

Ambo and Charlotte. I will try and draw the line at that but you are tempting me with all you successes.... ::)

I don't order until January as the garden centre I use doesn't list them online until then. They supply Ambo and sell a huge variety by the kg with not too ridiculous p&p. I miss the local(ish) garden centre that had a similar huge variety and you could even just buy a tuber of different varieties.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 07:22 »
We grew Charlotte, a few kestrel and Sarpo Kifli.
Charlottes for mash, boiled and roasties. Kestrel for floddies, oven chips and roasties. Kifli for boiled, roasties and light mashing plus they store well for us.

Edit to say our spuds are grown (no-dig) with a sprinkle of BFB under part rotted woodchips. Pic is a row of Kifli and a few Kestrels. We'll be growing the same varieties again next year using the same method.

Spuds 2020.JPG
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:10 by Blewit »

mower man

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:19 »
I have grown Nadine for the last two years,
they have a very good taste and this year the yield  was impressive

I shall grow them again next year fingers crossed
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 15:28 »
So After a look through JBA catalogue, I'll be ordering the following for next season..
1st Earlies - Casablanca, Red Duke of York, Premiere.
2nd Earlies - Charlotte, Kestrel
Maincrop - Maris Piper, Sarpo Mira.

xx
old potato varieties

Started by ecrivain5 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 14:52
by ecrivain5
xx
Potato varieties

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 14:57
by jonewer
question
Potato varieties

Started by 18Forts1999 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 18:43
by mumofstig
xx
Potato varieties?

Started by topten on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 15:47
by topten

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.