Seed Bombs - Guerilla Gardening

• 7 Replies

mashauk

« on: March 29, 2008, 17:00 »
I've just been given one of these by a lady running an organic veg street stall.  I quote (and they don't mind before anyone mentions copyright!)

These seed bombs were designed for "landscape re-vegetataion purposes".  They can be pelted into areas that are degraded, physically abused, or in need of a lift to make them less of an eyesore!  As you can see it is a form of urban and suburban guerilla gardening activity.  Though if you prefer the local council does have an "adopt a flower bed scheme -phone number.

Seed Bomb Recipe

Clay
Wildflower seeds
Water
Compost

Mix 5pt clay, 5pt worm castings, 1pt seeds in a mixing container, add just enough water to make a nice muddy clay consistency, roll up the mixture into little balls, allow to dry in a cool dry place for about 3 days, throw them into a sorry looking place.

How they Work

A seed bomb has everything you need to grow a plant all bundled up, the clay has lots of root-encouraging nutrients.  The compost will give the seeds a nice feeding, which is good for land that hasn't been cultivated or worked on for a while.  The indigenous seeds are age old in these parts.  They will know how to grow given a splatter of rain!

I think this is a brilliant idea, especially having had a good walk today and seen so many bits of land covered in nettles and dandelions.

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 17:05 »
i like it ill be giving that ago thanks for posting

mashauk

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 17:11 »
No problemo, the only trouble is I'm tempted to be selfish and chuck it on the back of the allotment where all the rubbish is so I get the benefit, naughty me :twisted:

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 17:17 »
A few years ago, there was criticism of these as they were mixing non-native species or aggressive native ones which were quickly edgign out endangered local species.

have to be careful it is completely bare land in case there's any rare species hiding.

I love to see fields full of poppies or cornflowers, etc and verges full of bluebells or daffs.

Rob

mashauk

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 17:20 »
Fair enough, the land near me is basically in front of a council block that is in London, and that is covered in weeds and rubbish at the moment but I do take your point!

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 17:53 »
:)

In that case, bombs away !  :wink:

Could do with a few London Planes to soak up the carbon monoxide and other rubbish.

Can you get one of those in a mud ball ?  :)

Do some good work and cheer the place up. What floor you on ?

mashauk

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 18:05 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
:)

In that case, bombs away !  :wink:

Could do with a few London Planes to soak up the carbon monoxide and other rubbish.

Can you get one of those in a mud ball ?  :)

Do some good work and cheer the place up. What floor you on ?

I live in a house, the flats are a couple of streets away, but there's loads of "waste" ground round here that could do with a spruce up, I just don't get time, most of the flowers in my garden have blown in from other places, poppies, marigolds etc, so I don't see the harm really.  I did see something lovely a while back in another street, you know where the council plant trees in the pavement, someone had put flowers all round them so each tree was surrounded with flowers at the base, very pretty.

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 18:31 »
Sounds a wonderful sight. Nice to think someone still cares what the place looks like. I try and keep our front tidy-ish but we have a fairly high hedge so no flowers unfortnately.

Grew up in suburbia on the other side (near heathrow) which was very very boring and mostly tarmac and fences.

Keep up the good work.

Rob

xx
Gardening and the soil

Started by James1 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 17:14
by Yorkie
xx
general gardening

Started by wombling2006 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 08:51
by wombling2006
xx
yet another gardening dilemma

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:57
by chrissie B
xx
gardening with the moon

Started by catllar on General Gardening

47 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 23:07
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 29 queries.