Greenhouse Material

• 6 Replies

Tommy54321

Greenhouse Material
« on: January 25, 2021, 13:19 »
Hi
On my plot, I have a greenhouse that I didn't really use last year as I only just took on the plot early summer. I'm thinking it would I great place to start to use it now and get some planting early. My issue is that a lot of glass is broken and in need of replacement. I don't particularly want to replace it with glass, even though it is the best I know it is pricey and I have a great big tree nearby that is to blame for the breakage, so I don't want to be doing this as a yearly change. What else could I use?? I don't really want to spend a lot on this. Is their any cheap material that I could use to replace a few broken panels, and empty spaces...plastic?? or a sheet.... ideas? Thanks

AndyRVTR

Re: Greenhouse Material
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 13:45 »
You could buy a large sheet of perspex and cut some panes out of it, just use W clips to hold it in place. I do think that it may be dearer than glass though, but don't quote me on that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 13:54 »
Last year, I covered mine with polytunnel plastic, but sadly, it ripped in the first storm we had.
Anything cheap is worth a try, I suppose, as long as you won't be too upset if you lose the seedling/plants inside.

Bob99

• Hotwells & District Allotments Association
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 15:34 »
Personally I'd go for glass.  Plastic panels are not cheap. Had to replace one sheet 2' x 2' standard greenhouse size in our site loo recently and it cost £14.85. Whereas there is a lot of second hand glass available on ebay for considerably less.  From my experience of many greenhouse problems around our 6 sites plastic never seems to last as long as glass - it flexes and is vulnerable to windy days.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 15:43 »
 from what your saying its that the tree is causing the damage from what ?  is it branches falling of the tree on top [roof] of the greenhouse and does this happen when its windy bringing down the branches

if the pieces falling of the tree are small but are breaking the glass then as Andy is saying strong perspex
 or plastic sheets cut to size could be an idea fixing with W clips now and if your greenhouse has a gulley where you fix the glass into you could consider getting some strong weldmesh or reinforcing steel mesh that's used for reinforcing concrete placing it on top of the greenhouse and securing it so it fits over the top
so the pieces fall onto the mesh ?

if i had that problem i would be constructing 4 post's at each corner of the greenhouse then put some strong scaffolding netting on the post's pulled tight like a football goal to catch the pieces of wood falling on it although there will be some cost whatever you do its the long term fix?

we had a similar problem [not a greenhouse] but every time you doing something  on one part of the plot the tree branches where hitting you in the face so asked the farmer if i could trim the branches and he said not a problem as ling as you don't cut the tree down  ;) so the tree's going to get a good haircut with my chainsaw very shortly as soon as the snow goes and by the time the branches grow back i wont be gardening  that plot :lol:

hope my comments help and good luck with whatever you decide to do

jezza

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:01 »
Hello are there any market gardeners near you that might have some broken panes that could be cut down,commercial greehouse glass is usually54,inchx28 inch we use to cut broken panes down to 24x24  inch and sell them £1.00 a pane 24x18  .75p  24x12 inch  50p becareful cutting it     jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57 »
If it’s going to be an ongoing problem with the tree that you cannot rectify, might it be worth moving the greenhouse to a safer position & reglaze then? More work initially but not in the long run
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
greenhouse ???

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:52
by ToHellWithWeeds!
xx
Greenhouse - looking for our first one!

Started by Bolted_Horse on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 09:00
by DD.
xx
Greenhouse help please

Started by nickiit2003 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 20:38
by nickiit2003
xx
which greenhouse?

Started by strangerachael on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 20:01
by Ice

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.