growing stuff in tyres

• 13 Replies

TinaD

growing stuff in tyres
« on: August 18, 2009, 16:08 »
Just had a thought.  I'm thinking of using tyres as mini raised beds but does anyone know if they leach out horrible stuff?  I try to be chemical free so it'd be a bit stupid if I ended up growing food in poisonous beds!

Trillium

Re: growing stuff in tyres
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 16:17 »
I have friends who grow things in tires and they are still alive  :D The tires work fine for them as the tires tend to hold in more heat for roots so crops like toms, cukes, courgettes, peppers and melons do well in them. Each year you'll need to heavily replenish the nutrients with lots of old manure and some bonemeal and then you can start again. And do remember that warm soil evaporates water quickly so you'll need to watch tire soil more closely for moisture.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 16:31 »
I have mint growing in a tyre and it looks very healthy.  Doesn't look like it is poisoned!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 16:39 »
I may be wrong on this, but,
 we just bought a re-cycled tyre bucket type thing and it says on it that it wont break down or deteriorate as it's made of re-cylcled rubber- just like tyres.  Based on that I wouldn't expect your tyres to break down either.
What a good idea too!  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 16:42 »
Back in the 70s, my grandad used to cut tyres right down the centre and then fold the two side back to get an hourglass shape; he and my nan used these as planters for years and years...

I seem to remember he painted them too (probably with a lead-based emulsion!  ::) ).

Still, he didn't do too bad and lived into his 80s, and Nan was 91 when she died.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 16:44 »
We grew some good crops of early spuds in stacks of tyres at school . Works well and there are no side effects that I know of
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

janet12000

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 18:26 »
Lots of folk at my allotment grow spuds in tyres. I'm planning on it next year. The kwik fit place near where I work are more than happy to give old tyres away.

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 19:38 »
Buying tyres from commercial outlets is getting harder.  They have to account for each tyre bought in/and disposed of due to the pollution/dumping regulations, or people letting them back on the road in the UK as illegal part worns.

However, they can still sell them as planters, sandal soles etc, but expect to get a chit saying that is how they disposed of them, and have to pay a minimal charge, and sign for them.

Mad I know....but bless our government and the EU Big Brother.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:11 »
i grew pickling onions and garlic in tyres this year both were the best crop ever

TinaD

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56 »
Thanks everyone - most reassuring

madcat

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 13:27 »
I'm growing tomatoes in lorry tires ...  doing fine.  They like the extra warmth of the black tyres.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 18:54 »
tinad!  i grow my sweet potatoes in tires have 5 stacked up in green house and several outside,also at home i painted some and put my dayliers in and they are all good,did raise some eyebrows wifr the other half tho  :tongue2:

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 22:48 »
I have 18 tyres on my plot, some I stacked and used for my first early potatoes (grown under the apple trees) and I grew strawberries in others. Both crops did well but I don't really like the look of the black rubber...Has anyone painted their tyres and if so what kind of paint did you use and how long did it last?

Babyshoes

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 14:00 »
I must say, charging people for old tyres is a bit cheeky - I know from where I work that it COSTS at least a pound a tyre to have them taken away for proper disposal! I understand that they have to keep them off the road, but as long as you sign something saying you won't put them back on the road, they should be ok legally.

Try going to some of the smaller, back street places who are less likely to be fussed about giving them away. Certainly the small tyre place near my house just stacks them outside where anyone could take them after closing time...

question
Growing in tyres - does it work?

Started by Pip Judgeford on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:24
by evie2
xx
Growing potatoes in tyres

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 13:44
by Kristen
xx
Growing Squash in car tyres

Started by Oscar the dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 22:00
by solway cropper
xx
Growing Potatoes in Tyres?

Started by Cabbage Patch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:26
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 35 queries.