No more carrots!

• 24 Replies

fatbelly

Re: No more carrots!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 19:22 »
I have tried to grow carrots each year for the past three years, by every year the fly got to them and decimated them. I have tried Fly resistant varieties but they were useless and the fly loved them.

I erect a 2 foot polythene barrier and the fly some how got over it with the same result as using fly resistant seed.

This season on the recommendation of DD I bought some Enviromesh from Garden Naturally and so far it is has done the job. No sign of Fly damage and the carrots are romping away (Autumn King 2 ). I didn't sow until 31st May to try to miss the spring fly.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

madcat

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 19:26 »
Are you only about 6" tall with a David Dickinson-like complexion?  :lol:

No - I'm a small, wide red head with a temper to match!!!! And 20 years younger!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 

( :D :D)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 19:54 »
I could not go back to supermarket carrots now, I worked really hard to make sure we had good snips and carrots because they are sooo worth it. Even my friends 2 year old will happily crunch one he has picked but turn his nose up at his mums tea time carrots
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 20:37 »
Carrots have been the bain of my life. Total disaster for the last couple of years & the ones grown in a raised container this year were worthless.....BUT the ones I sowed in the ground, inder Enviromesh are absolutely fab. I am so chuffed, has to be the best feeling ever pulling up gorgeous Carrots. Sooo.. I would say don't give up, invest in some Enviromesh you won't regret it.

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12 »
aelf - what on earth (no pun intended) do you use to fill a deep 6 ft x 1.5 ft raised bed?

Using soil from the plot or garden would leave a big hole and buying bagged compost would be very expensive.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 08:31 »
Well then, maybe I'm being a bit hasty....I have lots of mesh and also the "build-a-ball" stuff, so will design a little cage and perhaps give it one more try....might even sow again elsewhere this season if I get a minute at the weekend....

Thanks for the encouragement folks!!!

Phill  :mellow:

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30 »
Ok just to annoy you all this is my first time growing carrots, put seed in ground covered with cloche for a few weeks and thats it except for watering I've got some lovely carrots a few small ones cause I didn't thin and they taste soooo good
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 14:23 »
aelf - what on earth (no pun intended) do you use to fill a deep 6 ft x 1.5 ft raised bed?

Using soil from the plot or garden would leave a big hole and buying bagged compost would be very expensive.

I had a sand bag (1 tonne) full of spent potting compost - collected over the last fw years. I mixed it with some well-composted horse muck to fill the container. Just the job  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 17:39 »
It's not generally recommended to use manure where you're going to grow carrots or parsnips, though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 09:38 »
true, but this is well rotted, crumbly stuff and I only used a little, well mixed in to boost up the poor old spent compost. And it worked - we are eating lovely carrots every day  :)

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots -RIP.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:46
by Highfield
xx
carrots

Started by gaz.grace on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:32
by DD.
xx
carrots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 12:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 39 queries.