Bread Making: Nowhere Warm To Rise

• 25 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Bread Making: Nowhere Warm To Rise
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 21:44 »
I just stick mine in a bin liner bag on the worktop next to the boiler, in my utility room. Works perfectly.

I was having problems with my crust being too hard, though you can always salvage that by putting them in a bread crock for a while, which softens them up nicely. But I discovered that the problem was caused by using too high a temp in the oven (200) and if I use 180 instead the crust is fine.

Poolfield2

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37 »
I made a wholemeal loaf recipe from one of the Cranks cookbooks and from start to finish it only takes about 3 hours and it was fantastic. I couldn't believe that fast bread could be so good.

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 14:30 »
Pooley, you can also look at it from the other direction: you can't believe how bad store bought bread can be  :lol:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/bread-making/chorleywood-bread-process.php

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 18:33 »
I'd not heard of a bread crock before, are they the best thing to store your homemade bread?  The reason I ask is I was having a look for a bread bin yesterday but wasn't sure which style worked best and left with nothing.  I'd rather buy something that stores the best rather than just going for something that looks pretty.

I'm not sure I'm ready to advance to the wholemeal loaf, way out of my league in terms of baking skills however I did pick up a pack of spelt to try out although this might have to wait as I didn't realise that it was so different to using normal flour.

I've heard of the Chorleywood Bread Process before and while I knew it wasn't that great I didn't read up on it till recently.  It's amazing that something so bad isn't more widely known about.  It's described as an "improved process" for making bread but the only thing it seems to improve is profit for the people selling it by enabling them to use "feed" quality wheat.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 19:00 »
half white and half wholemeal is easy ;)

I found spelt just as heavy :( although I liked the taste...........ended up using that half and half as well :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 13:30 »
I'd not heard of a bread crock before, are they the best thing to store your homemade bread?  The reason I ask is I was having a look for a bread bin yesterday but wasn't sure which style worked best and left with nothing.  I'd rather buy something that stores the best rather than just going for something that looks pretty.

The one I've got is a round enamel tin with lid. It keeps the bread beautifully, in fact my home made bread seems to stay nice to eat for about 5 days in it. It definitely seems to soften up the crust when you store bread in there, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes not, but it does keep the bread soft and good to eat. I used to have a ceramic bread crock and that did the same thing. But if one of my loaves does come out with a jawbreaker crust, I just stick it in the bread crock for a few hours and it softens it up nicely.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 13:40 »
Two minutes out of the oven.

The smell is devine - Must try to leave them until cool befor I eat the bumpy end off of one  :wub:
loaves.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 14:21 »
My bread Receipt.

500ml warm water
90g vegetable oil (not olive as it has too much flavour)
15g sugar
10g salt
480g white bread flour
480g wholemeal bread flour
1 pack dried yeast

I mix it in a bread maker on the dough setting

Then divide it into two pieces, mould and put into tins to prove.

Cook for 30 - 35 mins 200oC  or whatever you know your oven is best at for bread.  I have to turn the tins a couple of times while cooking as my oven is not very even.

chrissie B

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 14:49 »
i read and have tried doing mine in the microwave on short 15 second bursts and resting 10 15 mins between .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 16:24 »
The one I've got is a round enamel tin with lid. It keeps the bread beautifully, in fact my home made bread seems to stay nice to eat for about 5 days in it. It definitely seems to soften up the crust when you store bread in there, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes not

I've seen some like that so I'll give it a go.  Also I prefer a softer crust, have never liked to work too hard to eat my bread.

Two minutes out of the oven.
The smell is devine - Must try to leave them until cool befor I eat the bumpy end off of one  :wub:

They look pretty good and a nice size.  Can I ask where you got your tins?  I keep seeing little cake sized ones but no bigguns.

i read and have tried doing mine in the microwave on short 15 second bursts and resting 10 15 mins between .

That seems like it might be more hassle than leaving it to do its own thing in the oven to be honest.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 16:31 »
I've had my loaf tins for ages.  Any good cookware shop should stock them.  I'm sure on-line stores will have them too.

xx
Getting bread to rise.

Started by WeavingGryphon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

77 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 13:25
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Making bread

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Bread making

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 06:57
by kevinp
xx
Bread-making machine...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2023, 12:40
by Growster...

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.