Wholemeal bread recipe

• 24 Replies

DanielCoffey

Re: Wholemeal bread recipe
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 10:43 »
Put the pizza stone in to the cold oven as you turn it on to preheat for the baking so that it warms up with the oven. By the time the oven is ready, the stone will be too.

Since I don't have a "peel" to slide the risen loaf onto the stone, I improvise with an upside down baking tray and a small sheet of greaseproof paper. I place the baking sheet on the counter upside down with the paper on top, turn the loaf out onto the paper, slash the top surface (unless it is looking a little too soft or over-proofed) and slide the loaf plus paper onto the pizza stone using the baking sheet as the home-made peel. The paper can be reused a good half-dozen times until it goes too dark and brittle.

If you can wait a short while, I will have a picture of today's 50% wholemeal loaf which had a little accident... I put it into the oven about five minutes before it had finished proofing so when the heat hit it from the stone slab underneath, it rose rapidly and burst along the side. It won't win any prizes in a competition but will have a wonderful crust!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 11:04 »
Here we go... this is what happens when you are too keen and put the bread into the oven a little too early.

This loaf was cooked an a stone slab (a small 12" x 10" offcut from a granite kitchen worktop) and is 50% Canadian Strong White and 50% Stoneground Wholemeal.
P1000772.jpg
P1000773.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 14:29 »
Looks scrummy, that’s the one I’d choose in a bakery lol. Thank you. Won’t be making any for awhile if today’s shopping trip is anything to go by, no flour in Asda!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 21:26 »
Have a look on Google for "online flour mill delivery" and you will quickly find the UK small mills that can send you all sorts of wonderful flour to your door.

You will find that British wheat makes bread that is a little flatter and wider than, say, Canadian or French flour because the shorter summers mean less gluten in even our "strong" flour. Rye is lower gluten too and makes a stickier dough. You can get round it a little by deliberately putting a tiny bit less water to make a firmer dough but you have to get the proving right and handle the unbaked loaf carefully else it will sag.

Mixing half of a really strong flour such as Canadian with something else is a great way to enjoy an interesting loaf that looks normal rather than something flat. Canadian/Rye is nice. Canadian/Malted Wholemeal is another good combo. Oh, and French flour only tastes "French" because of the preparation method (using a ball of "old dough" and making an overnight "poolish" or pre-ferment).

Good job there are lots of Bread Books out there too!

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 21:59 »
I’m glad it works. I use flour from a small mill, and have noticed they now sell ‘half and half’ wholemeal for a lighter texture loaf. They did have stock last week, when I looked (obviously there is a delivery charge, but at the moment, I think that’s worth paying!)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 22:02 by Wellington »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 22:48 »
For posterity, my wholemeal bread recipe is

200g of wholemeal flour
200g of white flour (can go down to 100g if you like it heavy, but I prefer half and half)
240g water
1 Tbls dried yeast
A slosh (about 2tbls but it’s not a crucial measurement) of olive oil or lump of butter
1 tsp Salt.

Mix it up, knead it until it’s soft, leave it somewhere until it goes soft and puffy. Knock it about a bit and shape it (I like those mini loaf tins, but my daughter makes a lot of crazy shapes, too) and leave it over night in the fridge, covered with a dry tea towel (it will stick to a damp one) It will still rise beautifully, but be much more digestible and nicer bread. You can leave it at room temperature for an hour or so if you prefer, and it will be lovely bread, but an overnight fridge rise is much nicer. Bake at a medium temperature until is bread coloured. Then freeze it. Then you can take out a couple of rolls and zap them in the microwave whenever you want fresh bread, and don’t need to eat a whole loaf when it’s past it’s yummy fresh-baked stage.

Should that be teaspoonfuls of yeast rather that tablespoons?

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 10:38 »
I do use a tablespoon, but now that you mention it, it may be supposed to be a teaspoon!  I will check my sources (the bread works fine with tablespoons, but I don't want to be using more than I need in such times)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 13:39 »
Some online Mills are closing webshops due to excessive demand and failing courier provision so be aware you may need to wait to get more flour online.

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 20:49 »
Well finally tried your recipe Wellington & here’s the proof, not tried it yet but just about to  now I’ve told you about it, so thank you in advance because it looks lovely.
Update, a lovely crusty loaf with a good light texture & tasty  :D
3E78CE40-7312-4680-8BEA-7F3BBF8B6581.jpeg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 21:00 by snowdrops »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 21:27 »
I managed to snaffle a couple of small bags from Bakerybits earlier this week - 1 Redbournbury Mill unbleached white and one of their malted wholegrain - that should see me through the next few months ;)

xx
Bread Recipe

Started by teflon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 03:59
by nemie
xx
Focaccia Bread Recipe

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 20:50
by kezlou
xx
Wheatfree Bread Recipe

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 23:10
by Poolfield2
xx
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe

Started by Babycat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 45 queries.