Protecting cabbage seedlings.

• 8 Replies

BML

Protecting cabbage seedlings.
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:20 »
Cabbage seedlings being nibbled.

I planted some spring cabbage on the 11th September and pricked most of them out into single pots to grow a little before I planted them in the garden and they are about two inches high.
The spare seedlings I planted out in the garden with a net to protect them against Pidgins and with slug pellets to protect them against Slugs.  Most of these seedlings have disappeared and those that are left are well nibbled.  A gardening acquaintance told me that the damage has been done by small slugs that live underground nipping out during the dark hours to wreak their damage and the only way to stop them is to nip out into the garden when its dark and pick them off.
Surely there must be another way to solve this problem. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Protecting cabbage seedlings.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36 »
That's one way of dealing with them!
I suppose that the original slug pellets are no longer working because of the rain :( you need to keep adding more for them to stay effective - but I think some losses are inevitable at this time of year  :(

It's just annoying when they take'em all  :mad:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 20:11 »
Like MoS says, you need to add more slug pellets regularly in this direly soaking wet weather if they are to be effective

Until this season I rarely used those blue pellets of death -- and now I could own shares in them I reckon  :ohmy: :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 21:16 »
Ditto Sunshine.  I've used two cartons this year and I only have a small garden.  :ohmy:

They must be working though as they keep dissappearing and the good thing is that there are no bodies to clear up!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BML

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:59 »
Many thanks.  I would have replied sooner but I thought the forum had an automatic trigger for replies.  Anyway, there all gone now, the seedlings I mean but I maj just have another go in the hope its not to late for them to grow.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:38 »
Spring cabbage varieties really need to be sown in early August to be big enough to survive and thrive.

You would be better to wait until the Spring and sow something like hispi or primo cabbage. If these are sown in February they will be ready to plant out in early April and will soon heart up.

BML

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 17:00 »
Thick as I am Iv'e worked out the automatic reply thing.  I should have said that the slug pellets were over a year old and I wonder if they lose their strength.  When you say, "You would be better to wait until the Spring and sow something like hispi or primo cabbage. If these are sown in February they will be ready to plant out in early April and will soon heart up." Do you mean starting them off in trays or directly in the soil?  What is the earliest spring cabbage?

dankay123

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 17:09 »
my spring cabbages are rather big now. i have had them in a op up tunnel plenty of slug pellets in there too. also my lettuces have remained untouched by slugs but im digging the whole plot so there is nowhere for slugs to hide. i planted mine late august and then transplanted them once big enough to where they are now. the middle of the cabbages are starting to twist now so hopefully should have some nice ones come spring.

BML

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 17:23 »
I only started gardening about two years ago never having touched it before and I can see that I have a lot to learn so tomorrow I'm off up the road to the only gardener I know really well.
"Spring cabbages are rather big", and "the lettuce" and all this as far North as Manchester!

xx
Protecting my seedlings.

Started by drummerboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 22:34
by Ann
xx
Protecting Seedlings

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Cabbage seedlings

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 21:46
by Babstreefern
xx
cabbage seedlings

Started by crazypeanut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 21:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 40 queries.