Aphids

• 6 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Aphids
« on: March 03, 2013, 13:51 »
Hi. Apologies if this is already covered but I couldn't find anything.

What's the best treatment for whitefly, infact any aphid on chilli plants, or any other plant for that matter?  I'd obviously like to keep the fruit edible so would preferably like to stay away from harsh insecticides if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Aphids
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 14:09 »
Although they are both sap-suckers, most aphids can't fly, whereas whiteflies will do just that if you disturb the plant.

If I get some on my chilies I take them outside on a not-too cold day, give them a few flicks over an hour or so and then bring them back in. I can't pretend it's a complete cure, but it does reduce the numbers.

You could also try "sticky traps" the modern version of fly-paper, but after that you're talking about an insecticide like Provado Ultimate Bug Killer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 14:14 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 16:51 »
RHS: for much of the year, aphid colonies consist of wingless females that give birth to live young. Winged forms develop when overcrowding or deterioration in the host plant induces a need to move to another plant.
The RHS site
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=181

lists some natural and synthetic pesticides.

You could also spray with a few drops of washing up liquid in a litre of water - although I have to advise that it's not licensed as a pesticide so is illegal  ::) 

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 18:15 »
Hi. Apologies if this is already covered but I couldn't find anything.

What's the best treatment for whitefly, infact any aphid on chilli plants, or any other plant for that matter?  I'd obviously like to keep the fruit edible so would preferably like to stay away from harsh insecticides if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

You'd be lucky to find a harsh insecticide these days  :(

Decent (if illegal yadda yadda) ideas here: http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 18:34 »
Site info: Members sometimes discuss making their own pesticides or uses for commercial products beyond those they are licensed for. Whilst not wishing to stifle free speech, this site does not suggest or condone the illegal use of pesticides and would suggest members consider this article:

Home made pest controls

Slowcoach

Re: Re: Aphids
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 18:54 »
Tomato leaf spray? ......I've seen aphids on tomatoes! Glasshouse white fly is harder to control than most types of aphid, SBK plant invigorator might do the trick if repeat applications are applied.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 21:31 »
Cheers everyone.  Owt helps, as in previous years my chilli plants have become inundated with the little *.  The way I have combat them is to take them out and give them a blast of water from the hose.  I just wondered if anyone had other ideas

Ta very muchly. :)

xx
Aphids and ?

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:18
by cawdor2001
xx
aphids

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2016, 09:04
by sunshineband
xx
Aphids

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 18:19
by Twitch
xx
aphids already?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 09:34
by lancashiregardeninggal

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 40 queries.