newbie in Snowdonia advice please

• 2 Replies

serendreamer

newbie in Snowdonia advice please
« on: August 22, 2017, 21:36 »
Hello everyone
Can anyone offer me advice on what I may be successful with here in Snowdonia. We live at 1300ft, I have begun to renovate a fruit garden with blackcurrent well established, raspberries have all died off in the last couple of years but the land gas become very boggy in some parts of the garden. The garden gets full sun, is south facing and has wind protection with trees behind and on both sides.
I have just started a veg garden with some raised beds but mostly will be planting direct into he ground. My soil is heavy and stony, lots of slate here. I bought some plug plants for autumn planting brassica collection and have already lost lots us to slug damage please can someone advise the best way to get plants established?
Ideally I am aiming for some degree of elf sufficiency year round, looking to plant potatoes, onions, leeks and some greens.
Looking forward to being part of this community 😊

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: newbie in Snowdonia advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:21 »
Hello serendreamer and welcome to the forum  :D

I don't know if you realise but the owner of this site, John Harrison, lives high up on a welsh hillside, so reading  about his experiences might give you a real heads up about what is worth a go and what is unlikely to succeed.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/

If you have a look in the green tab at th top of the page (Allotment Garden Diary, link above) you can scroll down to the box titled  About Us and read about their growing conditions etc and that might help a lot
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ptarmigan

Re: newbie in Snowdonia advice please
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:29 »
I have a very exposed site and, while I don't have one, polytunnels seem very effective for my neighbours.

I also use all raised beds as very clay stony soil.  And a no dig lots of mulch method - google no dig and lasagna planting.

I look for varieties that are short and sturdier. And use scaffold netting to provide some extra wind protection and cloches to start stuff off earlier.

I have a greenhouse at home to bring things on earlier too then transplant them when they are quite large.

xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 14:44
by fletcherbaker
smiley
Newbie looking for advice

Started by Bristol Branks on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2017, 10:07
by Bristol Branks
xx
Newbie looking for advice!!

Started by sarahwilson on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 00:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Advice for newbie

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 13:56
by ex-cavator

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 36 queries.